Used cameras - how many hours usage is too many? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 13th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Used cameras - how many hours usage is too many?

Hi guys, I'm looking at used cameras at the moment (and used Sony F3s in particular). And I'm wondering how significantly 'hours of operation' affect the condition and reliability of cameras these days?

Is 250 hours a lot? Is the camera likely to require servicing? Or does the solid-state nature of camera internals these days make usage hours just a number?
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Used cameras - how many hours usage is too many?

IMO 250 hours of usage on any camera is vitually nothing. In most cases it's just getting broken in. On a solid state camera 250 hours means it's barely been out of the box. No moving parts so what's to go wrong.
Now having said that, let me remind you that it's not the number of hours, it's the kind of hours. IOW, was the camera used in the desert to cover camel races? Was it used on K2 to cover the climb? Maybe it was used to do the show Frozen Planet and spent some time in the Antartic? The kind of use it got is, today, far more important than the number of hours. Again solid state has no moving parts so unlike tape drives there is little to go wrong but if the camera was used in a harsh enviorment, well I'm not so sure I'd want it.
But that's just me.
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #3
Trustee

i wouldn't say 250 hours for F3 is nothing, but low counter, i would pay more attention to the overall physical condition of the camera, that will tell you if previous owner was taking good care about his equipment, which is more important than actual hours of usage.
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, that's reassuring, the camera itself looks practically brand new (from the photos I've seen) so I'm sure it'll be fine.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Trustee

Not wanting to put a damper on the deal but wasn't it in Australia that people were complaining about dust on the ND filters of the F3. Check this out

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ountinued.html

The dealers and rental houses here in NY always give me a blank stare when I mention this but.
Also Sony is starting to include options like S Log in the new F3 so you may want to figure that in your cost structure if the used camera doesn't have it.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion