DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   How do you "print" a video? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/507327-how-do-you-print-video.html)

Robert Knecht Schmidt April 27th, 2012 12:08 PM

How do you "print" a video?

Do you know of an easy way to extract periodic frames from a video (say, 1 or 2 frames per second) into storyboard format for printing on regular paper? I want to be able to "show" a video to someone with paper as my only display technology. Looking for an easy, preferably automated method. I'm running Windows.

Jeff Pulera April 27th, 2012 12:22 PM

Re: How do you "print" a video?

Hi Robert,

Total shot in the dark here, something for you to try - nest the sequence and set speed to 3000%, then export an Image Sequence (each frame a still). Just a crazy thought, not at my edit computer to try it myself. This might possibly spit out one frame per second roughly.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Robert Knecht Schmidt April 27th, 2012 12:34 PM

Thanks, Jeff... Which software are you talking about here?

Battle Vaughan April 27th, 2012 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Suggest Quicktime, "export image sequence", pick options, enter or pick your desired frames per second, and file type. I am not sure if the Pro upgrade is required for this, but it is inexpensive if so.

Robert Knecht Schmidt April 27th, 2012 01:37 PM

Well, that gave me the image sequence (thanks Battle)... Any suggestions on how I arrange them on pages for printing, story-board style, without going through and resizing each image manually?

Robert Knecht Schmidt April 27th, 2012 01:49 PM

So far this has been helpful, but I still have to do a lot of manual dragging.

How do I control default imported image size and format in Word - Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

Battle Vaughan April 27th, 2012 04:01 PM

If you have Photoshop, you can do file> automate>batch, create a batch action that opens, resizes, and saves the images one after the other. You set up in input file and an output file to do this and Photoshop will act upon each file in the input file until it is done.. As to the layout, you can do that in Photoshop as well by opening a new file of the size you want, with a pixel resolution matching the images you have resized (so they come in at a 1:1 size on the new page). You can open the images you want on that page, and just drag them onto the new page. They will each create a new layer which you can manipulate individually. You can then import the finished page as a single image into your pagination program, Word, or whatever, for output....Hope this helps...

EDIT: actually, there's an easier way, I forgot about the Photoshop contact sheet function (file >automate>contact sheet). You can set the format for how many photos on a page and it will import them from your output folder. This is about as automatic as it gets, I think!