Capturing NTSC directly to DVD compliant MPEG2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:56 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Capturing NTSC directly to DVD compliant MPEG2

I have a need to use a PC laptop computer for capturing standard definition NTSC (plain old 480i video with audio). For the purpose of this question the firewire port is not available (it's there but doing something else); besides, firewire port went into retirement anyway, at least on laptops.

Looking at options I see USB and HDMI analog to digital converters.

Is there one (either USB or HDMI) that comes with software capturing straight to DVD compliant MPEG2? The idea is that I need to hand over a DVD disc at the end of the session - so not having to spend time to convert the video would save a lot of time... just take the captured DVD compliant MPEG2 file and author the DVD using "smart render" capable software.

Thanks,

Last edited by Ervin Farkas; May 2nd, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
Ervin Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Capturing NTSC directly to DVD compliant MPEG2

OK, I'm not 100% sure this is how such devices work, you may have to research a bit to find one that does exactly this: I think you could get away with composite RCA into a basic VHS-to-DVD recorder (one designed to convert VHS to DVD). Send the RCA into the device and set that as your recording source.

Alternately, look up any of the various solutions for VHS-to-DVD via computer, and just replace your camera's composite out with the VHS source. Here's a link to get you started:
VHS to DVD Converters Review 2012 | Convert VHS to DVD | Easy Transfer of VHS Tapes to DVD - TopTenREVIEWS
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The simplest and least frustrating thing to do is buy a DVD recorder.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yeah... should have mentioned this: lugging around a DVD recorder is exactly what I want to AVOID.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
Alternately, look up any of the various solutions for VHS-to-DVD via computer, and just replace your camera's composite out with the VHS source. Here's a link to get you started:
VHS to DVD Converters Review 2012 | Convert VHS to DVD | Easy Transfer of VHS Tapes to DVD - TopTenREVIEWS
Right on the spot, Kevin - thanks! That's what I've been looking for... I like the Diamond VC500.

Although it's not specified anywhere, it does look like the compression takes place in the adapter, and at the end of the capture, all that is left is burn to disc.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Is there one (either USB or HDMI) that comes with software capturing straight to DVD compliant MPEG2? The idea is that I need to hand over a DVD disc at the end of the session
Almost any USB capture device can be used to create DVD compliant video streams.

USB Video Capture Devices, USB Video Capture Cards, USB 2.0 Video Capture at TigerDirect.com

However, your smart render capable software may not recognize every DVD compliant video stream as DVD compliant. Since smart rendering is necessary only for editing the footage, it is likely that all you need is a compatible DVD authoring program. Are you planning to do all of this from battery power?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I've been using Pinnacle's Dazzle DVD recorder package for years. Basically, you can capture directly to DVD MPEG-2 without an intermediate step. Of course, you can use it with other software as well - sometimes I use Virtualdub with it. It's cheap, about $49, it's USB 2.0 and works great with a laptop.
Gene Gajewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion