shoulder cam attachment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 5th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

shoulder cam attachment

What's a good attachment that I can get at B and H that would fit the AX2000 and turn it into a shoulder cam?

have an event coming up in 20 days and I want to be able to roam around freely this time :)

Old May 5th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: shoulder cam attachment

Price range? Best is probably a DV MultiRig, expensive but worth it... several users here, all swear by it!

HK/China knockoffs of the design don't have the belt support, but if you've got a low budget...

The re-configurabilty of the design makes this rig hard to match, it's able to do MANY things by re-arranging the parts. Shoulder mount? Yep! Low mode? Yep! FigRig style? Yep! It's many rigs in one!

I finally got the genuine article used (hardly ever see 'em since no one will part with something that works well!), and I've got one of the Chinese ones, if you're interested shoot me a PM, it's on my "need to sell list".
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/98757-REG/Video_Innovators_101_S_100_Standard_Shoulder_Rest.html
Something simple like this that would fit the AX2000. I don't do many events, so it doesn't need to be grandiose or expensive :) it would be nice for it to be comfortable and stable though :)
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Actually, I've got one prety much the same as that one, and it's pretty good overall. Simple and effective, adds enough extra contact points to help keep your shot stable. I added a short monopod to one of the attachment points on the bottom of mine, and stick that into a pocket for an improvsed belt/waist level support!

I have a couple shoulder mounts floating around with "single handle" configurations, but I prefer a double handle to keep the cam level when moving around. Comfortable is relative, as any cam tends to get heavy after a while, at least to me, thus the belt support approach...

Stability is related to that, obviously adding the shoulder connect point and one or more handles gives you a wider base of support, then it comes down to how long you are shooting and how much fatigue builds up. You'll still be relatively more stable overall, of course.

Hope those experiences help with your decision making process!
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'll see what two handle options they have :)

now just have to figure out if they fit the ax2000 :)
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Trustee

Who is the forum member I keep seeing who's making shoulder rigs for small camcorders? Olaf?
I remember looking at one for the xf300 and the only reason I didn't purchase one is I use my DSLR shoulder mount on my xf300.
I'm sure the AX would work great on one of his rigs. They are affordable too!

Just found it!
http://www.westsideavstore.com/
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Neil

I made my own for my Panny AC-130's ..if you are a DIY person then it costs virtually nothing..there are pics there in the Panasonic AVCCAM Forum to look at...I bought just the rod and belt from CineCity in India (didn't like the rig) and I have that attached to a mini-ball head under the front rails.

Because the AC-130 EVF is tiny and stuck at the back of the camera it was really useless so I also have a neat loupe system on the 4" LCD screen which gives me a HUGE EVF!! Only the Panasonic HMC80 and the Sony EX3 seem to use the LCD as an EVF and it's really awesome!!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Neil,

Here is an old post in the NX5U forum. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...der-mount.html

I use the hood man EX1 loop to make it an ENG stile cam.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #9
Inner Circle

If you happen to decide you like the Chinese MultiRig copy, I've got one I'm looking to get rid of (got the real deal now)... basically new, and makes for one versatile rig, won't be much more than that S-100... just PM me if interested.
Old May 27th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Regular Crew

hey guys,

checked the other thread link.... I wound up getting the spider brace. it's a bit long, but it worked great... Only thing is, I might be a little short to be a camera operator.. stand might be making a comeback :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion