looking for Handycam that has infrared or night vision at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 11th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Trustee

looking for Handycam that has infrared or night vision

I'm looking for a small HD Handycam that has infrared or night vision available. This is for b-roll situations.

Looking around the forums I haven't seen anything mentioned. Is there a handycam that has this feature?

I though Canon might have one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: looking for Handycam that has infrared or night vision

Pretty much any Sony "handycam", and IIRC there were a couple Canon models that experimented with adding that feature. "Nightshot" is the Sony marketing term, if you want to search for it.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Dave,

I have found that the Canon XA-10 and the Canon XF100 seen to have infrared modes, I'll have a deeper look at these.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Major Player

I do not know what the latest cameras offer but because some fabrics transmit Infrared earlier models were unfairly dubbed “X-ray” cameras. To prevent the use of the cameras in sunlight where the there was a risk of clothing becoming transparent the manufacturers introduced several features to prevent this. These features included setting the aperture to full, increasing the gain to maximum and making the shutter speed as slow as possible. From my point of view these were retrograde steps. I have had some success using cheap surveillance cameras that do no have Infrared cut filters. However they have no means of recording images and no viewfinder so their use is messy. The results can be useful if one takes care with lighting.

I would welcome the introduction of a camcorder with an Infrared setting that offers control of shutter speed, aperture and gain, let us know if you find one.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Major Player

I have the long discontinued Panasonic AG-DVC30 which has IR capability. It's an SD video camera that records to tape.
It doesn't allow full control, but does have some of that x-ray vision (can see thru one layer of thin clothing)
in the 1/60 shutter, B&W mode, especially if using the optional IR floodlight in the SPOT setting.

The IR has 3 sub-modes:

IR -- aperture cannot be adjusted, shutter locked at 1/60, B&W (good resolution)
SUPER IR -- aperture cannot be adjusted, shutter locked at 1/4, B&W
COLOR NS -- aperture and gain can be adjusted, shutter locked at 1/4, Color, (lot of ghosting of moving objects)

I discovered the x-ray thing quite by accident while shooting some wild life footage, in a Bangkok night club on New Year's Eve.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion