DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Renting a camera for the 1st time - Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/507831-renting-camera-1st-time-question.html)

Pat Engh May 16th, 2012 08:11 AM

Renting a camera for the 1st time - Question

Hello,

We are doing a video shoot in the Cleveland next month. It's an outdoor shoot covering youth football drills and tips. No indoor lighting.

I have read how people rent cameras a lot. I'm used to shooting with my 2 camera setup -- Canon XL2 and XL1s. My problem is the XL1s does not shoot true 16:9 and also none are HD.

My concern with renting is being comfortable with a new camera (2 of them) that I have never used on a short amount of time -- probably a couple of hours to play around with them before the shoot. Also, the cost of renting 2 HD cameras -- maybe something equivalent to the Canon XL2 cost but an HD camera?

Would you guys recommend renting in my situation?

Eric Olson May 16th, 2012 10:40 AM

Re: Renting a camera for the 1st time - Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Engh (Post 1733575)
We are doing a video shoot in the Cleveland next month. It's an outdoor shoot covering youth football drills and tips.

Are you planning to master a blu-ray disk?

If not, then for widescreen DVD your XL2 should be fine. If the XL1s in 16:9 stretch mode looks soft when cut with the XL2, then you could rent about any HD camcorder with a sufficient zoom lens or buy something used. The camera is not as important as your expertise in using it. I just bought a used XHA1 and it works great outdoors. This camcorder operates in a way similar to your other cameras and is also one of the cheapest HD cameras to rent.

Pat Engh May 18th, 2012 11:48 AM

Doesn't HD on the web look a lot better (crisper and clean) than SD? I'm wondering about bitrate with a progressive download or stream though. Anyways

Les Wilson May 19th, 2012 07:17 AM

Yes. HD content on the web looks better than SD. Especially when played full screen. But will your viewers do that or even notice?

People rent but that doesn't mean they rent cameras they don't know how to operate. Seems to me you could rent two xl2s and problem solved. I don't recommend trying to mix HD and SD

Eric Olson May 19th, 2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Engh (Post 1733967)
Doesn't HD on the web look a lot better (crisper and clean) than SD? I'm wondering about bitrate with a progressive download or stream though. Anyways

Oh, I thought you were delivering on DVD. Web video bitrates typically range from 500kbps CIF to 1mbps SD to 3mbps HD. These bitrates allow smooth video streaming at typical residential broadband speeds.

You are correct that shooting 60i SD doesn't work well for progressive web delivery. Shooting 30p SD works well for web delivery, but doesn't work for football because you loose smooth slow motion. For your project any 60i or 60p HD format would work well. In my opinion 720p60 is the sweet spot between convenience and quality.

Guest May 21st, 2012 10:34 AM

One thing is to grab a camera and hit RESET on all functions. It helps to routinely build up settings for every shoot. If your assistants and second shooters do the same then if a situation arises where a button gets presses accidentally or a setting changes or you NEED to change a setting, you (or) the assistant, knows where that setting is...