using HD and SD together - question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 25th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: using HD and SD together - question

A semi shoulder mount like a xl2 or a xlh1 are equally worse to handhold compared to a xh-a1. You only get more stability since you have an extra point against your shoulder but a lot of the wheight is still mainly in your hands. This also means that any attempt to flip some switches on the side or even zoom, adjust iris or focus in a live event can result in a small wobble in your image, just like with any handicam type of camera.

It's only a lot easier to add additional batteries or wheight onto the back of the camera to distribute the wheight better and make it act more like a real shouldercam but just standard you can't handhold it for extended periods. With a real shouler mount camera that's all not an issue.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I disagree. The stock XL only barely reaches the shoulder but it does reach it while simultaneously, the VF is on your face adding and additional point of stability. When you add MA-100 XLR adapter, the camera is more on your shoulder and bequeaths the benefits there-in. Even on a Spiderbrace or other shoulder rig, the proper forward mounted VF of the XL is superior for handheld than a handycam like the A1 on a shoulder brace with 100% of it's weight on your arms and no point of stability on your face.

Last edited by Les Wilson; May 26th, 2012 at 05:53 AM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #18
Inner Circle

If you push a xlh1 against your shoulder, and then let go, what happens? It immediately drops to the ground like a brick, well, that's the weight you have to carry in your hands. I have had the honor of shooting with a xl2 years ago and it was as heavy and uncomfortable to hold as my xh-a1 and also like I said, once you start adding stuff to the back of the camera the wheight distribution is better but not like a real shoulder mount camera (unless you add that much wheight it almost balances if you let go) and like I said, you have more contactpoints to your body making it a bit more stable to film, on a xha1 you also have the viewfinder against your eye, with the xl type of camera the shoulder is an extra point. A xl2 type of camera can more easily be transformed to look and behave like a real shouldercam but a standard version will put as much strain on your arms as any handicam, unless your Schwarzenegger, he probably would disagree :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Nobody claimed an XL1 is balanced on the shoulder. It's just better than a handycam. The OP used XL1 then XL2 (which has the optional shoulder pad builtin). It doesn't have to balance on your shoulder to be better than a handycam. With the semi-shoulder form factor of the XL, EX3 and the JVC, some weight goes on your shoulder and there are 2 points of contact. On a handycam like the A1, no weight goes on the shoulder and you have zero points of contact. Using the rear VF to get one point of contact is (IMHO) worse as it pushes all the weight further forward.
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #20
Major Player

As interesting as this exchange has been, it may not matter for the OP. According to his new thread, his non-profit has been using the XL cams with "heavy tripods" and he is now looking at getting a Panasonic AC130, which seems to put them in the non-shoulder mount camp. He is looking for recommendations for a "B" cam whose footage can match reasonably well with the AC130. See this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-...-my-needs.html
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I had suggested the AC-130 a while back. Others moving off of XL cameras will read this thread and benefit from the discussion.
Old May 26th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
I had suggested the AC-130 a while back. Others moving off of XL cameras will read this thread and benefit from the discussion.
Agreed. Sorry if my comment came across as critical. No criticism was intended.
Jay West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion