DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Recording Skype Interviews (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/508129-recording-skype-interviews.html)

Sam Pat May 29th, 2012 11:16 AM

Recording Skype Interviews

I need to capture a series of Skype interviews for use in a project.

I'm on Mac.

Does anyone have recommendations or experiences on what software works best? Intend to edit in final cut pro 7 with my other footage.

This looks reasonably promising:

Call Recorder for Skype - The Skype Audio/Video Call Recording Solution for Mac - Ecamm Network

Anything else? Any personal experiences doing something like this?

Chris Hsiung May 29th, 2012 12:33 PM

Re: Recording Skype Interviews

I used Screenflow to record one side of the conversation. It worked just fine. Although you don't record yourself, it suited the interview well because I wanted the interviewee to look at the camera and not at me. I'm sure any screen recorder can do it. I just happened to already own the software.

Andrew Smith June 1st, 2012 11:00 AM

I've purchased and used the Applian Skype recorder (Record Skype Video and Voice Calls with Replay Telecorder) and it worked perfectly for the audio that I was after.

Andrew

Robert Turchick June 1st, 2012 12:11 PM

I use iShowUHD. Similar to Camtasia. Records anything audio and video.

Edwin Street June 2nd, 2012 09:14 PM

Robert Turchick June 2nd, 2012 11:21 PM

Wow! Had no idea. Been using iShowUHD for so long. This is a great find! Thanks!

Sam Pat June 5th, 2012 01:07 PM

Thanks for the all the suggestions. I experimented with ScreenFlow 3 so far and it worked quite well.

Will try the Quicktime method tonight! Looks great, hope it captures the computer audio.

Steve House June 5th, 2012 03:02 PM

Here's another thought - if you have a multi-channel audio interface you can loop the output back into an input and use a regular DAW such as Audacity to record. I have an Echo Audio AudioFire 8 8-channel interface and it will operate in full-duplex mode, meaning the 8 input channels and the8 output channels aren't linked in any way. I can send 8 different record signals in all the while playing back 8 completely different output signals. My mic goes into inputs 1 and 2 and the playback comes out on outs 1 & 2. These I've designated in the control panel to be the Windows default audio channels for recording and playback snf that's what Skype will use. I send all inputs and outputs through a Mackie mixing desk and I can route anything to anything by switch settings or patch cords. So using my mixer I can tap off from outputs 1&2 as they head to the monitors and loop them back into inputs 3&4 and I can setup my audio editing software to record from 2&4 instead of 1&2. So as long as the computer is fast enough, Skype can be using record and playback 1&2 while a DAW uses record and playback 3&4 or whatever combination floats your boat. With a mixing desk for flexible routing you can do all sorts of magic.