MTS conversion and system resources question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 11th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: MTS conversion and system resources question

THanks all. I decided that if I have to do that, it's probably pushing the MB too hard, so I just let him know I can't work with his files until I am upgraded.
And it seemed like even if the G5 would have converted them, or for that matter the Macbook, it would take eons to do, and I would be tying up my machines for like ten hours to convert these files. So it just didn't make sense time-wise.
Even when I am upgraded to a Macbook Pro, am I still going to run into these obscene conversion times with certain formats? Or can the newer versions of FCP edit most things natively?
Thanks everyone for your help and feedback.
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell Smith View Post
Even when I am upgraded to a Macbook Pro, am I still going to run into these obscene conversion times with certain formats? Or can the newer versions of FCP edit most things natively?
High definition MTS files take significant computer resources. Unless your editing station needs to be portable don't use a notebook computer.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #18
Major Player

What would you recommend in terms of necessary resources?
Also, how common are these now> And what programs edit them natively? Or is it more customary to convert them to DVC Pro.Pro Res,etc?
Also, does anyone know how much conversion, say in Streamclip, taxes the system? My guess would be that it's not as resource-heavy as editing, but I'm not sure. How much beef does the system need to have to do conversion vs. editing?

Last edited by Kell Smith; June 12th, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell Smith View Post
How much beef does the system need to have to do conversion vs. editing?
A computer needs to run continuously at 100% CPU to convert or render edited video. This means sufficient power supply and cooling. A new notebook may not fully meet these requirements and the problem often gets worse as components age. I would recommend placing your notebook on a cooling pad and removing the battery so the battery doesn't get damaged from excess heat.

Whether you edit .mts files natively or convert them before editing is a matter of software design and the complexity of the editing task. An intermediate format often results in better performance and reliability. Most FCP users convert upon import to AIC or ProRes. If you are producing a DVD, you can achieve better performance by downconverting to SD before editing.

Last edited by Eric Olson; June 14th, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old June 15th, 2012, 05:42 AM   #20
Major Player

Can't see anywhere what OS and FCP versions you're running on the MBP, but I did come across this recently:

https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro...pt/agree_e.htm

It needs SL or better and FCP7.0.3 but once installed it allows DIRECT import of MTS files to FCP. Panasonic say they don't guarantee it'll work with anything other than Panny MTS files but I installed it and successfully imported Sony MTS files direct into FCP 7.0.3. Editing might be slow as FCP works better with ProRes, but for a quick cut without any heavy effects it'll do the job.

Last edited by Dave Farrants; June 15th, 2012 at 06:13 AM.
Dave Farrants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #21
Tourist

This is probably not an answer the OP would welcome, but I transfer/convert MTS from my AVCHD sony handycam to a netbook using the command line (Terminal) version of ffmpeg. It copies and rewraps the data at roughly SDHC -> disk read/write speed. The resulting .mov files are instantly accepted by all Quicktime based apps I have tested, but I imagine FCP would upconvert to HDV in its import procedure.
Peter Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kerr View Post
I transfer/convert MTS from my AVCHD sony handycam to a netbook using the command line (Terminal) version of ffmpeg. It copies and rewraps the data at roughly SDHC -> disk read/write speed. The resulting .mov files are instantly accepted by all Quicktime based apps I have tested
Interesting! Would you mind posting the exact ffmpeg command line that you use?
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #23
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
Interesting! Would you mind posting the exact ffmpeg command line that you use?
ffmpeg -i path/to/input/file.MTS -vcodec copy -acodec copy path/to/output/file.mov

This will also rewrap to output file.m4v or file.mp4, but some apps will complain about an invalid sample description in the mp4.
Peter Kerr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion