DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review coming soon (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/508229-olympus-om-d-e-m5-review-coming-soon.html)

Robert Lane June 2nd, 2012 08:07 PM

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review coming soon

So far Olympus hasn't had a category created yet - because they haven't produced a camera that fits the needs of DVinfo users. Until now.

I'm sure many of you know or have heard rumblings about the recently released OM-D E-M5 (I just call it the OM-D) and while there are a plethora of photographic related reviews I haven't seen an in-depth review on it's full video capabilities yet. So to fill that gap I'll be doing just that... once my unit shows up that is. (They've been on back-order for a while and no solid ship date has been given just yet.)

There are a few and important reasons why the OM-D should be in the realm of consideration both for those who are already using any video or DSLR system or those who are looking to start off with or get a "new toy":

1. This is the first camera to use a 5-axis in-camera** stabilization method. 2 or 3 axis is all we've been given both for stills and video cameras, and the initial results from hand-held tests that I've seen are quite amazing. It reduces hand-held shake down to that similar to what you could expect from the camera being mounted on a monopod. That's damned impressive.

2. It has a vertical swivel OLED touch-screen panel; very bright, contrasty and fairly color-accurate. (The HDMI out will allow full-HD external monitoring without the nasty scale-down that happens with the 5D MkII).

3. Full-on weather seals, just like high-end pro DSLR's.

4. The Micro Four Thirds (MFT) lens system has been well developed and now offers ED-type, ultra-bright primes that we all salivate for.

5. Novoflex makes MFT lens adapters (exactly the type that people have been using on the AF100) which will allow use of any 35mm or PL type lenses to be mounted.

6. While the exact setup, pixel count and backend processing is different, the imaging chip is from the same technology family that was created for the AF100. (Olympus has been making imagers for Panny cameras - both still and video - for years, ever since the E-1 and the HVX200 were released. Which is one reason those two companies became partners for the Four-Thirds and MFT technologies.) So in short, you could say this is the poor-mans AF100 - from an imager perspective.

7. The 5DMkIII and D800E cameras are in the +$3200 dollar range, body only. The OM-D is less than $1000 for the body and it's still and video output quality rivals if not betters those cameras in certain areas, especially rolling shutter artifacts.

8. For those shooting RPV/RC-heli aerials, it's weighs about half that of the typical DSLR setup. Less weight, more flight-time, easier counter-stabilizer and gyro setups.

As I say, I don't have my unit yet but once I do I'll be posting samples of why this should be seriously considered for just about any kind of video work.

Dave Perry September 13th, 2012 09:42 PM

Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review coming soon

Wow Robert, I can't wait to hear your feedback about the camera. I'm using an Olympus E-PP1 with NIKON lenses and have become a fan of the m4/3 system. Poor man's AF100? I like that!

Alex Anderson August 3rd, 2013 03:14 PM

You must have gotten your camera by now. :-) where is your follow up review and sample video and pics? I just started looking at this camera today after seeing the some amazing IS shot footage. I would like to stop using a tripod for my doc and run and gun video stuff.

alex

Mark Williams August 3rd, 2013 03:32 PM

What is the video codec and bitrate?

Mark Williams August 3rd, 2013 03:38 PM

Just found it. H.264 MOV 1920 x 1080i (60i from 30p capture), 20 Mb/s. Disappointment.....

Alex Anderson August 5th, 2013 08:06 PM

just found the bitrate info. hmmm, love AF IS, tho.

alex