DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   DVD-R playback on Blu-Ray failures (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/508307-dvd-r-playback-blu-ray-failures.html)

Mike Hanlon June 7th, 2012 12:30 AM

DVD-R playback on Blu-Ray failures

Didn't find this particular topic in the forum, so I'm offering it to the living knowledge base.

I authored a dance recital in FCP7 (shot in HD, output in standard def via Compressor), burned it to DVD-R media (Taiyo-Yuden 16x) using DVDSP, then made copies in my EZ Dupe duplicator. I just received a complaint from a customer that the disk will not play in her Blu-Ray player. Works fine in her computer and similar copies play fine in all three of my (non Blu-Ray) DVD players.

Is there an issue with Blu-Ray players and my media or my process?

Thanks for any help.

Mike.

Mark Ahrens June 7th, 2012 05:34 AM

Re: DVD-R playback on Blu-Ray failures

I have one customer that continuously has problems with their player. Same actual disc plays fine in mine. I forget the model/make. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Frustrating.
Client says it loads and the menu screen comes up, the counter counts but shows no image (don't know if it's the menu counting or the chapter counting).

I know this post offers no help, i'm just throwing in with you to let you know you're not alone.

My program was approx. 40m. What was the length of yours? Do you remember the bitrate?
All else the same - FCP7, Compressor, TY, DVD-R

Eric Olson June 7th, 2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Hanlon (Post 1737031)
Is there an issue with Blu-Ray players and my media or my process?

Most bluray players are fine with DVD-R media, however, I've heard other reports that some bluray players have difficulties. It would be interesting to know the exact make and model of bluray player and whether a DVD+R solves the problem.

For an additional charge you could rip the DVD and remaster it to a BD-R blank.

Jon Fairhurst June 8th, 2012 10:58 AM

Some first year BD players had limited compatibility with recordable BDs, but I've never heard of any having problems with DVD-Rs. That format was well established before the first BD players came to market. More recently Blu-ray LTH format discs were introduced. Players older than two or three years old will likely have problems with those.

If your client has an older player, it might be the player's fault. If it's a newer player, it could be a problem with your burner or media.

Jay West June 8th, 2012 12:29 PM

I ran into this problem with couple of dance recital customers last year. Both had older Blu-ray players (brands I had never heard of and which cannot now recall). They each had problems with both the original Taiyo Yuden -R and the Sony +R disks of the first replacement. In my case, I had not noticed I had been using 16x to burn the disks from an ISO image. I tried burning at 4x and that fixed the problem. No idea why that worked.