DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Workflow, AVI or MPEG for Sony Vegas edit? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/508478-workflow-avi-mpeg-sony-vegas-edit.html)

Darryn Carroll June 12th, 2012 08:54 PM

Workflow, AVI or MPEG for Sony Vegas edit?

Hello all, been happy editing in AVI format for single track video editing of weddings, but I have my first 2 camera dance recital shoot this weekend, one static and one pan and zoom. So far, I have found my simplest (far from simple for me) solution for learning is Sony Vegas which gives me a way for me to sync then edit, but it seems to have problems when it creates an audio proxy file. MPEG appears no problem, but i know its not a lossless format. What would be my best method of ingesting the tapes after shooting? Any and all advice is warmly welcomed!

Ken Hull June 12th, 2012 10:43 PM

Re: Workflow, AVI or MPEG for Sony Vegas edit?

Darryn,

I'm not sure I understand your question, but if it's a problem with synchronizing two or more audio tracks, you might look into a product called Plural Eyes.

If you're concerned with having to create an MPEG video file and a separate PCM audio file (probably a .WAV file) in order to import into DVD Architect, well ..... that is the normal workflow.

I'll add one more thing: Since you seem concerned about a non-lossless workflow, you might look into the variouos Cineform plugins. Some major productions have used Cineform because the Cineform AVI is almost lossless. I think there's a free version call GoPro Cineform Studio.
http://gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-software-download/

Good luck,
Ken

Seth Bloombaum June 13th, 2012 01:32 PM

Darryn, this question probably belongs in the "what happens in Vegas" forum, and a moderator will probably move it there.

If you are shooting standard definition on DV tape, the best ingest is via firewire, using the capture function within Vegas. This will produce an file using the DV codec in an AVI wrapper. Perhaps this is what you're doing.

Ordinarily, the only audio proxy created by Vegas is a graphic representation of the sound, for display on the timeline. Ordinarily, sound in a DV/AVI is in a lossless format at 16-bit 48KHz. When you say that Vegas is having a problem with audio proxies, what exactly is happening? Have you tried multiple files, to troubleshoot? This should be a background and trouble-free process. It may be that one or more files are corrupt, or, if you've been doing something other than firewire straight to Vegas, there's all kinds of problems that can occur with third-party "capture" software that transcodes to who-knows-what.

If you are shooting standard def DV, MPEG editing should never be part of the workflow - only go to MPEG as a last step for DVD.

For some basics on Vegas workflow, please check out Edward Troxel's excellent newsletters. They were written for earlier versions of Vegas, but not to worry, these basic workflows really haven't changed.

What version of Vegas are you on?

Darryn Carroll June 13th, 2012 05:52 PM

Thanks for all the help, I am trying Vegas Movie Studio Pro HD in the trial mode. I actually discovered that even though I received an error, I did have the audio. If I could rephrase my question, I would ask "is there an ideal format for ingesting tape if editing with Vegas". I typically ingest via Firewire and Roxio capture to an AVI file.

Seth Bloombaum June 13th, 2012 07:59 PM

Yes, use Vegas' capture for DV or HDV source tapes, capture via firewire directly into Vegas. Don't use Roxio.

Darryn Carroll June 13th, 2012 08:07 PM

Thanks Seth, and still import as AVI ?

Seth Bloombaum June 14th, 2012 12:05 PM

Firewire capture directly with Vegas will produce a DV-AVI for standard def, and an .m2t (mpeg transport stream) for HDV. These formats, as created with Vegas' capture tools, are what you want for an optimal editing experience in Vegas.

Darryn Carroll June 14th, 2012 12:18 PM

Cool, thanks for the help and advice. Shooting tomorrow night and looking forward to new workflow!

Darryn Carroll June 18th, 2012 08:31 AM

Thanks again Seth, ingested via fire-wire and learning my way around Vegas. I learned how to use envelopes to easily switch back and forth from tape 1 and tape 2 in my project and I am having fun again!

Seth Bloombaum June 19th, 2012 03:33 PM

Great news, I hope it goes smoothly for you. Do check out the Vegas forum here, lots of good information. There's a list of tutorials in the "stickies" posts at the top of the forum.