How do you achieve this look? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 13th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #1
New Boot

How do you achieve this look?

The look @ 0:04 is what I'm referring to. I know it's a pretty simple green screen shot, but what effects are used to get that exact look? Thanks in advance for any help provided.
Drew Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How do you achieve this look?

I don't think it's a green screen, it just looks like he's shot against a black background to me. You put some distance between the subject and background, then light the subject but not the background. He's pretty evenly lit from the front judging by my quick peek. Then all you really need for that particular shot is make it B&W, maybe tweak the levels some. If you wanted to green screen it you setup the same, then chroma-key the green into black.

That's at least how I would try it, I've never done that style before though.
Old June 21st, 2012, 01:36 PM   #3
New Boot

"You put some distance between the subject and background, then light the subject but not the background."

Good advice, I'd also light the talent a bit extra hot, so you could bring the brightness down in post, adjust the contrast a bit, and you'd be rocking.
Jesse Pepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It also looks like the blacks are crushed. There's no detail in the jacket on my monitor - even though the jacket would have nearly as much light as the face.

BTW, when shooting for black and white with a Canon DSLR (well, a 5D2 anyway), I've found that the results are MUCH better when shooting in monochrome mode than in color and converting in post. Also, avoid the in-camera digital color filters as they don't work properly (again on the 5D2. Not sure about other models.) I bought some glass color filters and they work great at changing the relative tones.

This clip looks like it was done with an orange-yellow filter. That makes the skin very light compared to other tones, but not the super-white of a red filter. You still see some tone changes on his face and beard. One clue that color filtering was used is that his lips are also light colored. A yellow filter is more neutral. A green filter darkens skin and makes blemishes stand out. Orange and red tend to hide blemishes and make skin look smoother.

Note that you need more light when shooting through filters. However, if you output black and white from the camera, there is no color noise, so you can push the gain or ISO harder than you can with color shooting.

BTW, this video has deep focus, so it's probably not shot with a DSLR. On the shot a 0:04, you could get that with a variety of cameras. With the background blacked out, it doesn't much matter how shallow or deep the focus might be.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Trustee

I don't think it's a composte shot at all. Unless they've gone to the hassle of motion tracking the background, it's just an ordinary hand-held shot up on the roof...
Old June 26th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Trustee

Black studio and background + single light source - head height + adjust contrast.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion