Canon GL2 vs Sony HDR-HC1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 10th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #1
Tourist

Canon GL2 vs Sony HDR-HC1

So I've been wanting to get a decent video camera for several years. When I first seen the GL1 I knew that was the camera I wanted but I also knew that canon was about to release the GL2. I decided to hold off on my purchase to see what rating the GL2 got and maybe pick up GL1 seeing how the price SHOULD have been lower.

3 years pass and GL1s are still selling at a decent rate and so are the GL2s. So I start looking at other options and come across the HDR-HC1. this camera looks promising some claim the image from the CMOS chip is better than that of a 3CCD camera plus its HD... I mean com’on HD! ;)

I’ve read a ton of reviews including a great one at http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...HC1-Review.htm and have done my homework.

They also carry this camera at futureshop and a friend of mine works there. This means I can get the camera at cost wich I figure should be about $2000 Canadian.

So what’s stopping me? I want to use this camera for action shots, specifically snowboarding. So were looking at a ton of white glare lost of action and even some follow cam shots. From what I hear the HDR-HC1 isn’t so great for action shots. so im worried about the camera not being able to keep up and causing ghosting & artifacts as well as dropped frames.

Does anyone have any experience or know of anyone that has used the HDR-HC1 in an action environment? am I just better of getting the GL2?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Frank Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #2
Wrangler

See the following:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=50137
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=48628
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Boyd,

I guess I’m just more concerned with how the HC1 will stand up to action shots and me taking it down the slopes at 40mph. So I’m wondering if anyone has had any experience with that.

Sure the HC1 is a consumer camera with limited manual control but if it’s as good as people say it is then I can deal with just a point and shoot camera. However if it can’t hold up for what I want to use it for then the GL2 is where I want to go.

But after reading some of the posts here maybe the GL2 isn’t a good choice ;)
Frank Hill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion