DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   US to Canada with GEAR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/508904-us-canada-gear.html)

Broatch Berry June 29th, 2012 12:31 AM

US to Canada with GEAR

I have a job to shoot in Montreal. Debating custom's and my camera package? One HDX900 and one HPX170
Is a CARNET a must or is there another method for a clean in and out. Or am I better of renting a camera package in Montreal, I'm already renting my lighting and grip to cut back on bags. Just trying to hold onto a few more dollars! I'm departing from LA direct to Montreal. Depating on July 8th.

Thank you anyone

Broatch Berry
Lighting Cameraman

Los Angeles

Chris Soucy June 29th, 2012 01:06 AM

Re: US to Canada with GEAR

Um, excuse an ignorant piece of input here, but don't the US and Canada have a "Free Trade Agreement" which allows free trade and transport of goods across the border?

Why would transporting goods for the purpose of business be any different?

Might be wise to check with Canadian Customs nevertheless.

CS

Dustin Moore June 29th, 2012 05:39 AM

The purpose of the Carnet is to prove to the Canadian customs that you
are not going to sell your camera equipment in Canada without import
duties.

Also, when you come back to the U.S.A., the Carnet proves that you
did not buy the camera in Canada which would cause it to be subject
to customs duties.

I don't have experience with actually doing this but I have thought about
taking my gear into Canada a bunch. I look forward to hearing from someone
who has done it.

Noel Lising June 29th, 2012 09:26 AM

My experience is based on Canada to USA with gear. I work for an AV Company, if we have shows in the states. The first question they ask is what are you doing with your gear in the US? The US is somewhat protective about "stealing" work from a US citizen there are instances when our techs are not allowed entry. The way around it is telling them you hired a local crew and you are there to supervise. Sometimes they ask if you have a work permit.

I don't know if Canada is that way but I never heard of a US based AV company getting turned back at the border.

my 2cents

Bill Ward June 30th, 2012 08:17 AM

I've done it both ways...with a carnet and without.

The carnet is your absolute, get your gear out of jail free way to go. But it costs money and involves paperwork and check in with customs on the way out, on arrival, on leaving the host country and on return to the Motherland.

I was told several years ago (by Canadian customs folks) that, at the discretion of the Canadian customs agent, a carnet free set of gear may be required to post a bond worth most of the cost of the gear, to assure its removal from the country. No idea if that has changed.

However; I've also gone in and out a couple of times with only multiple sets of paperwork listing all of the gear, serial numbers, countries of origin, and purchase price...and had it only get a cursory look before waving me through.

YMMV.

Allan Black July 1st, 2012 02:35 AM

At the discretition of the agent is the clue. Just keep smiling through it.

Cheers.