Mac Backup and Archiving at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 11th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #1
New Boot

Mac Backup and Archiving

Hello..

Im working on an iMac, and Macbook. Editing in Adobe Premiere cs4, Doing a lot of multi cam edits, so project files are pretty large!

I need a reliable and large backup device. I have been Looking at the Drobo, and also some of the raid drives from apple.

Can anyone recommend a backup device that you find reliable. I need 2tb or more. Maybe even 4tb.

My workflow is to load everything to the iMac internal drive. Finish project and then archive it onto this drive i need to find!

Thanks
Paul Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Mac Backup and Archiving

My setup is an 8TB ProRaid partitioned into 4 2TB "Drives" and hooked up to my imac through ESata. I have another external dock so that I can quickly swap internal drives in and out. I mirror the partition I'm working on every night to a standard 2TB internal drive in the dock. When the drive I'm working on fills up, I make 2 more mirrors of the oldest partition, send one of the 3 drives to a friend's house, and keep the other two drives in two separate fireproof safes. It's a weird kind of shuffle, but it works well for me and it ends up being pretty cheap.
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Mac Backup and Archiving

I just use plain 2 TB hard drives in a trayless SATA enclosure. The drives are in pairs, but not RAID'ed. They are synced nightly and then once they are full, they are retired(no new files) and one of the drives goes to a different location. I realize I'm giving up a little speed, but I'm gaining simplicity.

I think one has to be careful about thinking of a RAID 5 as a backup. (Drobo is really a form of RAID 5) Yes, if one drive goes bad, you don't loose your data. And it is the perfect solution if 100% uptime is important. But, that's more critical for servers than it is for video editing. RAID systems don't protect against file system failures, file corruption or accidental deletion. Secondly, what happens if your RAID 5 tower goes bad. You'd have to find an identical one because another type of RAID tower can't read anothers data.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion