DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Color bars on a waveform monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/509805-color-bars-waveform-monitor.html)

David Hentz August 5th, 2012 07:30 PM

Color bars on a waveform monitor

My client shoots using 5 Canon XL2s. They send signal out via analog BNC. When hooked up into a waveform monitor, should I see a setup level at 7.5%? Or does the XL2 record digitally and, though it is being sent out analog, display at 0?

I am using a, be it old, Leader 525 line 5872 Waveform Monitor to test.

Also, I see multiple stray lines connecting the points on my vectorscope of the same color bars. Thoughts?

Chris Medico August 5th, 2012 07:51 PM

Re: Color bars on a waveform monitor

The analog video output should have black at 7.5.

David Hentz August 5th, 2012 10:46 PM

Is this something Canon could fix if I had the cameras sent in to be serviced? Or is this beyond repair and time to purchase new cameras?

Chris Medico August 6th, 2012 12:07 AM

It is adjustable. Here is what you are looking for:

Picture & Manual Control
Automatic Control
Automatic control is not what the XL2 is designed for, although it does have an easy recording mode. In easy recording mode, white balance, shutter speed, exposure, and focus are automated by the processor. These were not "tested" but it’s safe to assume that the XL2 performs these options quickly, and accurately.

Overall Manual Control
The XL2 was specifically designed with total control over image in mind. In addition to standard manual controls such as white balance, gain, exposure, iris, in-lens ND filter use, focus, and AE shift, the XL2 includes several other manual control settings.

Set Up Level –
13 steps of IRE setup levels for fine tuning the image.

Master Pedestal –
13 steps of adjustment, affecting the gamma curve.

David Hentz August 6th, 2012 07:31 AM

I was kind of scared to hear you say that (well, see you type that). When I do make those adjustments I do not see any difference in my color bars. And, since I can only see a difference in picture while looking at live footage (if you will), it's really hard to see if my setup, etc. looks correct. I have the picture being sent through a frame synchronizer but it doesn't seem to correct the blooming/bleeding of colors that exists in my color bars.

Chris Medico August 6th, 2012 07:42 AM

Connect the camera directly to a monitor and see if the bleeding happens.

David Hentz August 9th, 2012 10:02 AM

With the monitor I have it doesn't seem to bleed noticeably, but I have questions on the monitor.