DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   EX1....is it still worth its weight? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/509952-ex1-still-worth-its-weight.html)

Sam Rosado August 11th, 2012 09:02 AM

EX1....is it still worth its weight?

Im considering a used cam purchase and for the sake of argument I'll use it for everything....I was going to buy the Canon XF105 but looking on ebay I see the ex1 at the same price. Im particular to canon as Ive had the gl1, xl1, xl1s and xl2. But from what ive read the ex1 is the optimum cam... I guess what im looking for is the straw that will tip me to either of the two... then theres also the jvc gyhm700 series that I like only because of its native quicktime to fcp workflow... thanks for any response guys!

Jack Zhang August 11th, 2012 10:38 AM

Re: EX1....is it still worth its weight?

If the EX1 is still in pristine condition, get it! The XF105 is a single sensor 1/3'' sensor camera whereas the EX1 is a full 3-chip 1920x1080 1/2'' sensor camera. This means the EX1 is theoretically better in low light.

XDCAM Browser converts XDCAM EX to MOV files pretty easily, so you shouldn't have too big of a workflow problem to solve.

Do double check with the seller to be sure you're getting what you asked for, but definitely take a EX1 over a XF105 any day.

Eric Olson August 11th, 2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1748024)
definitely take a EX1 over a XF105 any day.

There aren't many used XF100's for sale because it is a new camera. On the other hand the EX1 has been replaced by the EX1R which was just replaced by PMW200. The cameras are different designs for different purposes: The XF100's main feature is being small, the EX1's main feature is having 1/2" sensors. Both are best in their class.

You say you will use the camera for everything, but that is not very specific. Are you carrying the camera on a mountain climbing expedition or placing it on a tripod in a church?

Sam Rosado August 11th, 2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1748024)
If the EX1 is still in pristine condition, get it! The XF105 is a single sensor 1/3'' sensor camera whereas the EX1 is a full 3-chip 1920x1080 1/2'' sensor camera. This means the EX1 is theoretically better in low light.

XDCAM Browser converts XDCAM EX to MOV files pretty easily, so you shouldn't have too big of a workflow problem to solve.

Do double check with the seller to be sure you're getting what you asked for, but definitely take a EX1 over a XF105 any day.

Thanks Jack! im def leaning that way!

Sam Rosado August 11th, 2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Olson (Post 1748038)
There aren't many used XF100's for sale because it is a new camera. On the other hand the EX1 has been replaced by the EX1R which was just replaced by PMW200. The cameras are different designs for different purposes: The XF100's main feature is being small, the EX1's main feature is having 1/2" sensors. Both are best in their class.

You say you will use the camera for everything, but that is not very specific. Are you carrying the camera on a mountain climbing expedition or placing it on a tripod in a church?

ummmmm....how is "everything" not specific??? i might want to take it with me to juarez mexico when I go unicorn smuggling or maybe into the sewars of NY when im big rat hunting!!! smh.....

btw.....there are PLENTY of used xf100's for sale. but thanks for your response anyway!

Eric Olson August 11th, 2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Rosado (Post 1748056)
i might want to take it with me to juarez mexico when I go unicorn smuggling or maybe into the sewars of NY when im big rat hunting!

The XF100 would be the superior camera when unicorn smuggling, but the EX1 would be better when big rat hunting. Depending on how much water is in the sewers you might also consider the NX70.

Lee Mullen August 11th, 2012 10:43 PM

EX1 is much better camera anyday sir.

Dean Sensui August 17th, 2012 03:45 AM

The EX1 does a great job.

If you can get an EX1r then even better, in my opinion, because of the pre-record buffer.