Video Testimonial? - What do I need to know? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 13th, 2005, 07:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Video Testimonial? - What do I need to know?

I have a meeting tonight with a potential client. They would like me to produce a video showing client testimonials for their product.
Seems pretty straight forward, but I was wondering if anybody has done productions like this before and have any extra information that might help me tonight in my meeting.
Was thinking of using a friend of mine's studio for shooting the testimonials, I have a wireless lav mic for audio, anything else equipment wise I might need?

Thanks for you help.
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Jeff,

This sort of question opens up artistic and aesthetic desicions that differ from client to client, and from producer to producer.

Some issues to discuss;

Should all the testimonials look the same? In other words, do you gather the clients in the studio and shoot them in front of the same backdrop.

How much B-Roll goes behind the testimonial? This might be product specific. Are they talking about something that is not very visual, such as a economic/banking type of service? Or is the product something more physical and usefull... a lawn implement, heavy equipment, a vacation resort...

Is the client supplying b-roll or are you going to shoot it?

Can you shoot the testimonials in situ? On site, while they utilize the product?

You see how the approach can differ. These are the things you need to iron out.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #3

Richard nailed it.

If it were me, I would strongly suggest they be shot in the client's "natural environment" where the product is being used. This not only adds visual variety and interest, but it gives more creedence than running them through the studio.

Just my opinion.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #4
Major Player

It is for a weight loss clinic, so not sure what the natural enviroment would be.
It is one of those "herbal" weight loss places.
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Toogood
It is for a weight loss clinic, so not sure what the natural enviroment would be.
It is one of those "herbal" weight loss places.
Then I would shoot it there, just use different backgrounds for each, if possible.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion