DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   One Way HDMI Cable? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/510184-one-way-hdmi-cable.html)

Dave Perry August 23rd, 2012 08:28 AM

One Way HDMI Cable?

Is there such a thing as a one way HDMI cable? I can't find any info on its existence but I was told they exist. In particular, I was told that they have faster data flow and if plugged in the wrong way, you get no signal. The shoot I'm told they are being used on is a 5D shoot my employer is gaffing. He texted me about them and asked if we should get some. What could he be referring to?

Thanks.

Chris Medico August 23rd, 2012 09:26 AM

Re: One Way HDMI Cable?

That doesn't compute since HDMI requires bidirectional communication to establish a connection and work.

Frank Glencairn August 23rd, 2012 09:58 AM

I think they played a bad joke on you.
Like the old "can you look for that bag of F-Stops please and get me a handfull?"

Look up the HDMI specs on Wikipedia.

Shaun Roemich August 23rd, 2012 10:48 AM

Nope. They exist.

Look up Gefen Super Booster Cables.

EXT-HDMISB

Strange days...

EDIT: The power to drive the long line comes from a specific side. THAT is why they are "directional"

Shaun Roemich August 23rd, 2012 10:52 AM

I'd be surprised though if the HDMI output on a DSLR had the power output to supply a driven HDMI line. I'd think the power adaptor would be required.

It can't move the data FASTER... Only further.

Dave Perry August 23rd, 2012 11:25 AM

This is the cable in question:

Rocketfish? - 10' HDMI Cable - RF-G1188 | Rocketfish

I've checked the HDMI spec on Wikipedia also and nothing mentioned anywhere about a case where there is a unidirectional implementation.

Shaun Roemich August 23rd, 2012 11:28 AM

It is an integrator cable, not the sort of thing you are going to find at Best Buy...

I saw them at the Gefen booth at NAB this year.

The link is certainly NOT what we are talking about. Sounds like marketing hyperbole...

Dave Perry August 23rd, 2012 11:43 AM

Thanks Shaun. The link I posted is the actual cable being used on set. I don't buy cables from Best Buy but someone on set is using one of these cables for whatever reason and I'm not there to talk with him about it. My boss just asked me if I knew anything about them. He passes most tech stuff on to me to research. It's not an issue for me because I use HD/SDI on all of our cameras anyway. With our 7Ds I use an AJA HDMI to HD/SDI converter to go to our BT-LH 1710 Panny monitor. With our EX1 and FS 700 I use the HD/SDI output.

Shaun Roemich August 27th, 2012 09:41 AM

Dave: I misread your post to read "IS this the cable in question"... which I took to mean "Is this what you (Shaun/me) are talking about?"

Sorry.

Yeah, the cable you reference is merely a decent quality HDMI cable. NOTHING special.