VHS to HD transfer service? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:56 AM   #1
Major Player

VHS to HD transfer service?

My client has a couple of old VHS tapes that I may need to pull a couple of minutes from. I'll need the tapes transferred to a hard drive, and I don't own the necessary equipment.

Any service to recommend? I found this one on the web, but I'm open to referrals.

HD Media Services - Video Transfer Experts - Offering hi8 to DVD, VHS to DVD, MiniDV to DVD Transfers and more!
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: VHS to HD transfer service?

Costco to DVD to MPEG Streamclip.
Fred Tims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Major Player

I haven't seen the tapes yet, but I'd rather not add the compression of DVD to the process.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Transfer the VHS tapes direct to a miniDV cam. This will digitize the footage and you will have AVI footage to pull into an NLE and work with. You can record the footage on a tape in the cam and capture from there or have it hooked up to your computer via firewire and load directly into your hard drive, both ways avoiding compression from MPEG2. You will need a VHS player and a miniDV cam with pass through. Both can be found dirt cheap now if you don't already have them.
Tom Mussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Major Player

I've been watching Craigslist for a VCR, as they're apparently not even made anymore.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fass View Post
I've been watching Craigslist for a VCR, as they're apparently not even made anymore.
Walmart has several DVD VCR combos and ebay has hundreds of VCRs listed.
James E. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:20 PM   #7
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Philip Fass;1751148]My client has a couple of old VHS tapes that I may need to pull a couple of minutes from. I'll need the tapes transferred to a hard drive, and I don't own the necessary equipment.

VCR to DV should be easy to find someone that can do that for you. If you need it in a larger format once you get the files digital get the cineform trial aand output to the desired resolution. not that it will improve the quality but if you are producing an hd video it will output to 720 or 1080 and free for 15 days.

I would be happy to do it. where is your location

Forget the Dvd transfer as that would be an extra process with no added benefit.

I am sure if you need a vcr ebay would have then for very cheap considering there is no users, except one.

Any service to recommend? I found this one on the web, but I'm open to referrals.

]
Dan Herrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 05:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Consumer VCRs are easy to find at pawn shops, thrift shops, Goodwill, Salvation Army Stores and garage sales for next to nothing. Professional decks with TBCs built in are much more difficult to find. You could try EBay.
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Some VHS tapes are in better condition than others. If you stick a marginal tape in a cheapo deck, disaster may ensue with you pulling your customer's tape out of the machine with pliers. I have been happy with a JVC HR-S9500 running via S-VHS cable through a small Sony D8 deck that will output 1394 Firewire straight to a capture program such as the Vegas Pro capture.

This higher end consumer decks has a single line TBC (time base corrector) too. And the tape handling is gentler than a basic player might be. The JVC has an "auto" tracking feature that seems to align it decently also.

Right now I can do Digital8, Hi-8, Video8, VHS, S-VHS, mini-DV and HDV transfers. Drop a line if you want a quote.
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I own a Mitsubishi U61 semi-pro S-VHS deck - if you would like, I can transfer those tapes to tape, hard drive, or flash card in DV25 format.
Old September 6th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Major Player

Also you could use DV camcorder with AV in firewire out. I imagine they would be cheap to buy on ebay, craiglist, ect.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #12
Major Player

Client was able to loan me a combo VHS/DVD player/recorder for the month. At least now I can see what's on the old tapes.
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Client was able to loan me a combo VHS/DVD player/recorder for the month. At least now I can see what's on the old tapes.
Getting a good digital transfer of a VHS tape is tricky. There are two forums

Doom9's Forum - Powered by vBulletin
VideoHelp.com Forum

devoted to this. The first is more technical, however both forums report that the image quality varies between high-end decks and not all TBCs are the same. Built-in noise reduction on one machine can significantly blur a picture which appears sharper on a different deck. Further post processing using avisynth to stabilize, color correct, filter and enhance the resolution of an image is also discussed.

Obviously the easiest thing is use the VHS to DVD recorder the client gave you to burn a DVD and press forward. Are you going to do any color correcting or post work with the footage? Will you be upscaling the footage and cutting it with HD footage? Even if yes, I would start by burning a DVD for backup and to use as a minimum quality standard. Then I'd explore higher quality transfer methods.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #14
Major Player

Fortunately, I stated clearly (probably overstated) how much worse the quality would be than the HD video I'm shooting. They're fine with that. I'm going to recommend that it be a separate feature on the final DVD, instead of intercut with my material.
Old September 7th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #15
Inner Circle

There is quite a lot you can do to make that footage look better than the original. You can clean it up with mostly free tools, and if you grade it to look like old footage, apply a 'scratched film' filter, it will blend in - everyone knows what old footage looks like.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion