Help with stabilization software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 12th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #1
New Boot

Help with stabilization software

Hi guys
Im new on here so hello to all.
Im in the market for stabilization software I do have a Flycam 5000 plus a very sturdy tripod when needed however I can't get used to the flycam plus all I seem to spend my time doing is try to get the balance right. In the mean time although the footage I take is not that bad being of a certain age holding my FX1 even with a vest on takes its toll after a while.

I have been looking at the Mercalli V2 from prodad ( recommendation on this forum) I downloaded the SAL and it seemed to take out most of my wobble even on default settings, I run all my footage through Premier pro the make the DVD in Encore both CS4.

The software looks good but Im not sure If I should buy the Pro version to run in Premier Pro or stand alone.

Any advice or a suggestion for maybe another program would be appreciated

Regards Nigel
Nigel Seacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Help with stabilization software

Might be a choice of whether to put the money toward the Premiere CS6 upgrade, which has a very effective motion stabilizer feature, or whether you plan to keep CS4 a while and need the plugin.

The Plugin is convenient, but you might check to see if it would be compatable with 64-bit-only CS6; if not, the stand-alone would presumably still be usable outside Premiere should you upgrade or change NLE's in the future....
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #3
New Boot

Agreed with Warp stabilization feature, worth the upgrade.
Madison Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

The downside of the Warp stabilisation is that it's very CPU intensive and doesn't make use of the GPU. Worse, it won't make use of all your processors at once ... something I hope they address for the future. In the meantime it takes a fair bit of processing time (and I'm on a hex core i7 CPU!).

I'd recommend some in-camera physical (not software) optical image stabilisation if you can get it. Then use Warp for whatever still makes it through.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 03:42 AM   #5
New Boot

Sorry for the late come back to your answers, I have been on the road, I guess it is just a case of suck it and see, Im going for the stand alone as it seems easier to work with, but a big thankyou to all for your help.

Regards Nigel
Nigel Seacy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion