DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   .mov files that have a note and mxf (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/511377-mov-files-have-note-mxf.html)

Calvin Bellows October 14th, 2012 11:48 AM

.mov files that have a note and mxf

Hello, I have a questions about codecs and wrappers. I have FCP 7 and compressor. I produce a show on hockey and we get highlights via a league FTP. One team uploads their file as a .mov but when I go to play it it shows a musical note when it plays. There is no audio or video but it plays in real time. I emailed the team and they said that is is a H.264 format and that maybe I need to download an avid Codec. Any ideas on where I could find this Codec. Also another format I get a lot that I can't seem to play is .mxf any ideas on a way to get this into a format FCP can use. Thanks

Michael Kraus October 14th, 2012 01:14 PM

Re: .mov files that have a note and mxf

If the .mxf files are specifically unwrapped Canon XF footage then you are probably in for one heck of a headache. My solution was to rent Adobe Premiere for a month to finish an edit.

You could try converting everything to ProRes with MPEG Streamclip.

You could also try downloading XDCAM Transfer and XDCAM EX Clip Browser. If it's XDCAM footage you'll be able to covert and wrap it. If it's Canon XF footage you'll at least be able to view it in Sony's clip browser.

Trevor Dennis October 14th, 2012 02:13 PM

I use Premiere Pro, but I seem to remember seeing a plugin for MXF in FCP when downloading software for my XF300.

Does this help?

Canon DLC: Blog Post: Canon XF Plugin for Final Cut Pro X

This is for the C300 but it's the same CODEC

Canon U.S.A. : Professional Imaging Products : EOS C300

Calvin Bellows October 14th, 2012 08:48 PM

I know the mxf files came from premier pro. I'm really starting to think twice bout fcp

Calvin Bellows October 14th, 2012 09:42 PM

I know the mxf files came from premier pro. I'm really starting to think twice bout fcp

David Dixon October 15th, 2012 03:39 PM

Is it really an mxf file from a Canon XF series camera? There's been an import plugin for FCP7 for about a year and a half, and one for FCPX since about February. These are free from Canon's web site.

Of course, like many imports, the plugin expects a certain folder structure - not just the files. They need to send you a backup of the entire memory card with the folder structure intact.

Trevor Dennis October 15th, 2012 07:20 PM

I think they just need to exist in the root directory of any drive for XF Utility to import them. Unfortunately, I am new to owning a Canon XF series camera, and have not been using XF Utility so far.

Calvin Bellows October 15th, 2012 07:37 PM

What about files that come from Premiere Pro that are rendered to mxf. I don't think that would be cannon or sony would it?

David Dixon October 15th, 2012 08:43 PM

In reply to earlier postings in this thread...

• If it is correct that Canon's XF Utility will import anything at all that is not in an XF Camera file structure, I certainly can't find how to do it. MPEG Streamclip and Compressor 4 also can't open .mxf.

• I also don't understand why .mxf would be used as an export format to send to other users. I'd ask for a more standard format. FCP7 should import the h.264 though. Would installing Perian help?

• I don't know if something like this would help - they have a free demo:
Pavtube MXF Converter for Mac-convert mxf files on Mac OS X
I used this demo to successfully convert a .mxf separate from its card structure to ProRes, but the converted file had no sound. I've read that some .mxf options have the audio in a separate file, so this may have been the problem there. If the .mxf is an export from Premiere Pro I assume it would include the sound so this might work fine.

• The next update to FCPX, 10.0.6, is supposedly coming out this fall. It lists audio editing enhancements as the major feature, but also lists .mxf support being added. I didn't understand that, as I can already import mine, but I suppose this situation is what it's referring to. Standalone .mxf import, and maybe even native editing???

• FCP7? Unless the converter approach works I think you're out of luck.