DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   How often? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/511708-how-often.html)

Stelios Christofides October 26th, 2012 02:51 PM

How often?

Hi guys, How often do you update windows (any version)? I usually check for updates once a week.

stelios

Chris Barcellos October 26th, 2012 03:18 PM

Re: How often?

I auto update.

Seth Bloombaum October 26th, 2012 03:27 PM

I auto-notify, then manually update when I have time to look at the list of updates. I get notified about one or two times a month.

Trevor Dennis October 26th, 2012 03:29 PM

Same as Seth. Especially hardware updates!

Stelios Christofides October 26th, 2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1760826)
I auto update.

Chris is this advisable? I mean can windows update while you are doing something, like editing or rendering?

stelios

Ervin Farkas October 28th, 2012 11:09 AM

I reformat my C drive every one year or so, and carefully choose manual updates at that time.

After that, no updates other than Firefox and related plugins. I am the engineer who doesn't fix anything until broken.

Am I the only one?

Chris Barcellos October 28th, 2012 11:37 AM

Most of the time, the auto update works behind the scenes and is not an issue. I alway shut down daily, and occasionally, when shutting down, you have to wait as it does some reconfiguring with the new update. I just walk away when that is going on. Next time I start up, there is no issue.

I am no software engineer, though I have been using PC since 1980's and have fought a lot of driver issues, so I can understand Ervin's approach. My thought is my major software, Vegas, CS5, Cineform and others are also keeping up with the OS updates, and will update theirs if there is an issue. Seems to work pretty well, as I don't seem to have as many issues on my common Dell machine, than others. I seem to rarely have a driver or update issue as a result.

Derek Heeps October 28th, 2012 01:28 PM

Being a Mac user , I just let Software Update take care of things ( I have to authorise each update by entering my password ) .

In the event that an update proves to be a bad move , I use Time Machine to go back .

John Estcourt October 28th, 2012 02:59 PM

I like to be notified of updates but i would never choose auto update because i would not want windows updating video drivers etc for me. Security updates im usually happy with but thats it.

Noa Put October 28th, 2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides (Post 1760824)
Hi guys, How often do you update windows (any version)?

I do a fresh install, install all updates and that's it, update gets disabled and never used again untill I buy a new pc. Once I installed all of my programs I use my pc intensively for editing for about a week to be sure it runs stable and when it does I make a disk copy with Acronis true image and use that copy about once every 2 months to keep my system "fresh". (My editing pc is used for editing only, no virusscanner, firewall or other unhealthy stuff)

I only do updates if my software requires me to but other then that, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I feel like an Apple user, no virusses and no crashes :D

Jim Andrada October 28th, 2012 07:02 PM

I sort of take the "update when getting a new machine" approach. I normally power down every few months whether I have to or not but usually the system runs 24/7. Of course with clients and their customers spread from NY to Tel Aviv to Tokyo I sort of run 24/7 as well.