EasyPrompter teleprompter software in need of suggestions for new version! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 6th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EasyPrompter teleprompter software in need of suggestions for new version!

Hi Guys, it's been a while since I've posted here and since I"ve touched EasyPrompter in terms of code but it's time to get this thing into the 21st century. For those that aren't aware of EasyPompter, it's a web-based teleprompter software that can do just about everything you need (reverse font included) - you can check it out at the link below.

Now onto more interesting matters. I finally decided to re-write the thing from the ground up cause there are some code issues I'm not happy with that are making adding new features difficult to add, and since browser technology has matured quite a bit in the last few years. To that end, I am looking for suggestions from the community for useful features that you need in production environments.

Very high on my priority list is making this thing rock-solid on mobile devices since a lot of people use tablets and even phones as make-shift teleprompters. I will also finally support reverse fonts on tablets. Previously, you needed a computer on which you could install a custom font - no more!

Other features I'll be rolling into the update is the ability to resize margins (since wide-screen monitors are sometimes too wide-screen), better eyeline indicator, better text editing and more options for control of the actual prompter.

One feature requested many times is the ability to run the prompter in dual-screen mode, where 1 monitor is pure prompter and the second is the "control" with the text flowing on both at the exact same rate. Next version will definitely have that.

Finally, many of my overseas clients have requested better support for right-to-left languages and I will definitely be putting that in.

Aside from these, are there any annoyances you typically face when working with teleprompters? what would make your life easier? What would make this the BEST software solution out there?

Those of you with the best suggestions that make it into the final product will receive a one year free subscription to EasyPrompter Pro. All other useful suggestions will get a 20% discount on the subscription.

Thanks!
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: EasyPrompter teleprompter software in need of suggestions for new version!

For a prompter on a budget, I've really liked Easyprompter! With lots of pro experience, I have champagne tastes, but a beer budget, because I don't prompt every month.

I like that Easyprompter comes with good type and reverse, but my prompter hardware does do the reverse. If it didn't, I'd be up the creek with the current version. My clients would be asking me why I didn't rent a real prompter.

* Forwards type for the operator, reverse for the prompter, that is easy to configure. Is that in your "dual-screen" planning?
* Is there a way to have smoother scrolling? You did ask what would make it equal or better commercial products... rock-solid-smooth scrolling is the ticket to good experience, especially with non-pro talent. Seems like I put a lot of clients in front of the prompter... And I'm not taking a primo laptop with incredible graphics card on location for prompting; can you leverage average hardware acceleration on a laptop?
* More robust formatting for color, bold, ital, highlighting, bullets, etc.
* Ability to save/load/edit that preserves formatting (possible?)

Now, my personal opinion is that phone/tablet prompting is toy-like. Every script needs to be edited, in my experience. What a pain on a phone or tablet? But, yes, a tablet version would get occasional use from me, when ultra-portable is needed.

I'm not sure how important this is, but, other suppliers stress compatibility with external controllers, like the Griffin Powermate USB knob. $30... Now, this is just a little USB keyboard macro sort of thing, but, for them that need it, it looks real good. Then, I've also looked at USB & bluetooth footpedal controllers. Musicians are using them to keep their sheetmusic digital on a tablet or something, they flip the pages with their feet. I'd guess there's a market for all this, and if the Pro version makes money for you, maybe it's worth adaptation for external controllers, and giving your customers configurations that work. Maybe too much of a headache? I don't know, but I'd guess I could get a Powermate working with Easyprompt today, if I spent a little time on it... would it help you sell more Pro versions if you made it easy?

Good luck! I like Easyprompt!
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Seth.

yes, the dual-screen is exactly what you said - one screen for talent, one for operator (and the talent one can be reversed).
As for smoother scrolling, there isn't THAT much I can do at the moment since it's web-based. I will be trying a few tricks here and there to see if I can improve it of course.
As far as external controllers, I'm 100% with you. The current version of EasyPrompter can actually work with external controllers if you configure them for the correct keys but I will make a bigger effort to have out of the box configurations and the ability to "learn" commands.

While currently I have some formatting available and it DOES save, I will be putting in better formatting and it will preserve when the text is reversed.

For those that use other products - what is your favorite teleprompter software? why?

Thanks! Keep'em coming
Old November 7th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #4
Trustee

In a previous prompter I've used, I used to connect a wireless mouse to the laptop. By controlling the mouse wheel, text could be sped up or slowed down, variable speed. Double left click, and text would instantly jump to the beginning. Double right click, text instantly jumps to the end. Single click left, line jumps backwards a line at a time. Single right click, line jumps forward a line at a time. This was an easy way to wirelessly control text speed.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

You can do that today with EasyPrompter as well, but I intend to make the whole thing a lot more configurable.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion