DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Green screen: cotton vs muslin vs plastic vs paint vs...? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/512493-green-screen-cotton-vs-muslin-vs-plastic-vs-paint-vs.html)

Ervin Farkas December 3rd, 2012 02:56 PM

Green screen: cotton vs muslin vs plastic vs paint vs...?

I know the first part of the answer: it depends... so here are my specific needs.

Building a small basement studio, literally in my basement. Cost needs to stay down, but it's not the primary factor, quality is. Lighting will be fluorescent. Size approximately 12-14 feet wide, 8-9 feet tall.

CYC would be nice but can't afford it at this time, so I'm just looking for the "best bang for the buck" kind of middle of the road quality vs price solution.

Thanks for all the help,

Seth Bloombaum December 3rd, 2012 09:45 PM

Re: Green screen: cotton vs muslin vs plastic vs paint vs...?

I am a big fan of the foam-backed non-woven fabric, as sold by eefx and perhaps some others. eefx is the only supplier I know of for sure:
EEFX.COM - Chroma Key Green Screen Backdrops* (Foam Backed Fabric)

This material is great. Wrinkles tend to hang out, the fabric is non-glare and won't reflect light at any angle. Unlike some actual fabrics, it is totally opaque. OTOH, it's a bit heavier and bulkier than some.

I've used it many times, and my favorite studio has a 20' x 40' roll hanging from their grid, even though they have a 2-wall cyc. Absolutely essential on those few occasions where I have to do head-to-toe greenscreen.

It's not a cheap import, but not super-expensive in small quantity.

Henry Kenyon December 4th, 2012 11:26 AM

I've been happy with the Savage vinyl. No wrinkles minimal reflection and it can be wiped clean easily.

James Huenergardt December 4th, 2012 01:12 PM

Personally, I'd stay away from EEFX.

I don't know what's happened, but they are getting really bad reviews and I've had friends try to order from them and no one every gets back.

It's like you order, your CC is charged, and you never see the end product.

I ordered from them years ago and did get an order, but at this point, I'm not sure that's a good road to go down.

Here is another place you can order the foam backed stuff which is what I use and recommend.

Green Blue Screen Chroma Key Backdrop GreenScreen Backgrounds

Film Tools has it as well: Green Screen (Chroma Key) - Filmtools

They are legit too.

Love the foam backed stuff.

Seth Bloombaum December 4th, 2012 03:23 PM

Sorry to hear from James that people have had difficulty with eefx. It has been several years since I've ordered anything, this stuff doesn't wear out or go obselete...

Ervin Farkas February 13th, 2013 06:34 PM

I would like to report back... thanks for the tip James!

I ended up ordering from Green Blue Screen Chroma Key Backdrop GreenScreen Backgrounds and could hardly be happier with my shopping experience. Even before ordering, I had a question, I emailed them and got my answer within a few hours (usually a good sign about a vendor).

When the time came to place my order, I asked that they put the rod pocket on a different side, and they did that at no cost. The product arrived on time and it is flawless.

Now if only perfecting my green screen technique would be this easy...

John Nantz February 13th, 2013 11:39 PM

Ervin - so .... I can just visualize it now. Is there going to be a picture of the car wreck with ambulance in the background??? :- )

(couldn't resist!)
P.S. By the way, Great Post!