MPEG Streamclip for time lapses issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 19th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Major Player

MPEG Streamclip for time lapses issue

Hey everyone!

I've been using MPEG Streamclip to export my time lapses. It seems that upon exporting it doubles every frame.

My typical settings are Pro Res 422 (LT), 29.97 fps.

It's not a huge deal. I can just double the speed in post and everything is a single frame again. However it would be nice if I could just make a time lapse without ever putting it in an NLE and have it play normally.

Anyone else using MPEG Streamclip?
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: MPEG Streamclip for time lapses issue

Very useful program, it must be something in your settings someplace. Not clear on what you are converting to -with more information maybe we can help you find the right setup. mpegS. is a wonderful toolbox.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the response.

One obvious thing I forgot to mention is that I'm building the time lapses from photos rather than a long take of video.

Typical settings are Pro Res 422 LT, 29.97 fps, I deselect interlaced scaling, and resolution wise it's usually either 1080 or 2160 for vertical resolution. I think that's about it.

I create a batch of 16X9 jpegs and click that I want MPEG Streamclip to join all the files and that is how the timelapse is built.

Still can't figure out how or why each photo is doubled upon the final export. Essentially it just makes the frame rate seem slower and jumpier.
Old December 21st, 2012, 03:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Is there a reason for using Mpeg Streamclip over say, Final Cut ( presuming you're on Mac )? Mpeg Streamclip is super useful, but I don't think it's the best way to create timelapse sequences. An NLE, or effects program gives you more options visually, like windowing and panning, which are a bit more clunky in MS.
I personally like Blender for working with image sequences, as it's a really powerful sequence editor, but realise it's not everyones cup of tea. Not sure on the frame doubling problem. Maybe one of the boxes under the framerate settings are ticked on export?
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Trustee

Try progressive, rather than interlaced. A guess: interlaced requires two subsequent images of the same frame, but your frames are still images. Maybe that's the problem.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Major Player

MPEG streamclip defaults to 15fps timelapses, regardless of the export codec you've chosen. Force it to output to the correct framerate by filling in the "Frame Rate" box. Also always deselect interlace scaling on timelapses.
Old December 21st, 2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
MPEG streamclip defaults to 15fps timelapses, regardless of the export codec you've chosen. Force it to output to the correct framerate by filling in the "Frame Rate" box. Also always deselect interlace scaling on timelapses.
Thanks Kevin, now I know! As stated earlier I do indeed deselect interlaced scaling.

I always fill in the frame rate box with 29.97. I'm guessing it's doubling frames because it defaults timelapses at 15fps...even if you enter in the frame rate. I guess perhaps there is no way around this.

Adrian: I've been using MPEG Streamclip only for stitching the timelapse together. I almost always add motion/keyframes in an NLE. Is there an easy way to combine all the jpegs within Final Cut or Premiere and just skip the stitching phase? I've just been using MPEG Streamclip as the middle man because Final Cut and Premiere seem to automatically give 5 or 10 seconds to each frame and that is quite inconvenient.
Old December 21st, 2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Inner Circle

If you or someone you know has access to Sony Vegas Pro, there is a simple "import image sequence" function, and basic image stabilization as well. Vegas is very much a swiss army knife when it comes to some of the less-common formats and workflows.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 02:38 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kraus View Post
Thanks Kevin, now I know! As stated earlier I do indeed deselect interlaced scaling.

I always fill in the frame rate box with 29.97. I'm guessing it's doubling frames because it defaults timelapses at 15fps...even if you enter in the frame rate. I guess perhaps there is no way around this.

Adrian: I've been using MPEG Streamclip only for stitching the timelapse together. I almost always add motion/keyframes in an NLE. Is there an easy way to combine all the jpegs within Final Cut or Premiere and just skip the stitching phase? I've just been using MPEG Streamclip as the middle man because Final Cut and Premiere seem to automatically give 5 or 10 seconds to each frame and that is quite inconvenient.
In FCP, drag the image sequence to the timeline and make sure that all are selected. Right click anywhere on the images and there is an option for duration ( can't remember the labelling of the top of my head ). Enter something like 00.00.01/00.00.02. Hey presto!
Old December 22nd, 2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Trustee

You may also find it more convenient to do this in Quicktime Pro: http://helpqt.apple.com/qthelpwr3/en...s2/wnFmSet.htm

The url for the exact help page doesn't work, so go to quicktime pro basics >create slide show and animatiions, for instructions. Quick and simple to do.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion