external drive won't save .avi at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Tourist

external drive won't save .avi

When I try and save captured .avi files to an external drive they won’t play back correctly. I am using Corel Video Studio 5 for the capture and editing. I am using a Panasonic PV-GS320 Mini DV camera. If I save the clip to either of my 2 external drives (WD Passport or Maxtor One Touch 4) when I play them it’s jittery and audio is garbled and in slo- mo. If I save the clip to the Video Studio library or to the computer hard drive they work fine but soon as I try and move it to the external drives I lose the quality. I am using Windows 7 pro on a dell laptop that is relatively new. Any ideas?

Btw- I tried loading the old (5-6 years) Panasonic software to my new (6 months) computer but the install gives me an error that it cannot install on the computter operating platform. Assuming this is a new system not configured for the old Panasonic software. Any way to upgrade the Panasonic software so it might work on the new Dell?

Obviously I’m not very computer literate but want to make this work!

TIA

Steve Scherrer
Steve Scherrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: external drive won't save .avi

How is the external drive hooked up? USB sometimes struggles with video streams. As well, what "spin" is the drive? 5400 rpm isn't as "robust" as 7200 rpm for stream playback. Also, if the video file is "strewn" across the drive due to high percentage of space on the drive, it may struggle.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Tourist

yeah it's usb. funny I do have an old laptop hard drive that I use for external storage that actually works correctly. it's usb too. how do you acquire the "spin" rate? I tried it with a 512 mb flash drive/ memory stick that doesn't work either.

steve
Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Tourist

yep. I finally figured it out. It was a 4 way USB hub that I was using! d'uh.........when I plug it in solo....no problem. The one drive that did work is on the right side of the computer and got plugged in solo. Fuunny the wife figured it out!

steve
Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Trustee

Panasonic's last update for drivers was in 2007 for vista, but might work: Pansonic Product Support - PV-GS320 The Motion DV studio software is here: http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...STG_CNT_029914 It has a 2007 date for windows xp2, appears to be the last update available.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:53 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Keep in mind there are several USB flavors... if you've got anything USB 1.0 in there, it'll choke (like an old hub, maybe?).

Video will stutter if anything is below par, and anytime you mix "older" with "new", you have to make sure each component in the chain is fast enough.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion