Camera recommendation. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 28th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Camera recommendation.

Hi guys:

Hope everyone is having a great holiday. I've got a question that I could use your input on.

Recently a client asked me to recommend what camera to buy for her business (a health fitness center)

So I asked:

1) What is your budget?
2) Were you looking to buy soon, or just getting idea of pricing?
3) What kind of shoots would you do with it? Workout videos? Video for clients (e.g.
analyzing/assessing their workouts) Facebook?
4) What key attributes in a camera do you need? (Ease to upload video to social media, video
quality equal to mine (HXR-NX5U) /John ( I believe he has a Canon Rebel)

Her response

1) Something under $300 will be great.
2) Fast is best.
3) Need it for shooting members for videos and pictures.
would need the camera to be good quality and easy to load to social media.
4) A time stamp and date on pic would also be great if automatic

So that knocked my recommendaitions of the Canon DSLR or the Nikon D series.
I had thought about the Samsung EX2, but that's above her price point..
I'm thinking maybe the Sony Bloggy, but at this point I feel like I'm grasping straws and could use a fresh perspective.

Thanks!

Robert
Robert Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Camera recommendation.

Hmmm, under $300... probably a Point and Shoot with video at that price point. Is used an option? Tough "wish list" you got there!

Not sure what the expectation is of "good" quality, uploads to social media shouldn't be a big deal, and that probably lowers the "quality" bar... maybe a new smart phone <wink>?!

There are a couple Sony Cybershots (TX, HX, WX lines) that shoot 60P (probably better for "action shots"), but they are at the higher end price wise, and over budget... unless you go used. I'd probably point at the older DSC-TX100, it's now almost two model years "old" (2011 model), still holds up against current similar cams (I haven't been too impressed with how 2012 model year Sonys seem to handle stills).

Depending on level of "seriousness", the DSC-RX100 is a pretty impressive camera, but over 2x "budget", as it's a very "hot" item right now - the stills are nearly SLR/SLT quality, video in all but the worst light is good (and 60p is an option). Not bad for a "pocket" camera, if the price isn't too shocking - you actually get what you are paying for, and right now it's alone in it's "class". Auto functions will get most people by, and it's got plenty of manual adjustments available.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Dave:

Yep, her wish list is tough for that price point. Wow I totally forgot about looking into refurbish/used cameras. Thanks for suggesting that.

I could inform her which cameras would be good to meet her needs but suggest if she can't go above her budget, to consider used or older models to meet her needs, but she'll have to consider the pros/ cons of buying something older vs new...

Robert
Robert Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #4
New Boot

I currently using Samsung EX2F.Its super-fast lens that inadvertently brings one of the camera's key handling flaws to light.Image quality is very good for a compact.Prices are also good.
Old January 12th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Major Player

I can't help but think of the GoPro Hero 3. The Silver edition is dead on the price, does 11Mp stills at 10fps, 1080p at 30fps, and 720 at 60fps. For another $100 she could 720p at 120fps - and gym applications would work well with 25% slow motion.

I'm mindful of it being a gym, and the GoPro is going to be durable, can be clamped to just about anything including people - although a further small investment in grip equipment would be required. Sounds perfect to me.

HERO3 Cameras | More Powerful in Every Way | Most Advanced GoPro

[EDIT] Just read my own link and the $399 Black edition is even waterproof! Good gracious, I think I'll get one for myself!
Old January 12th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Robert, at the $300 price point, I've been recommending the

with wi-fi for easy uploading to social media. Here are a couple of examples of what this little camera can do:

It takes great stills too: http://www.flickr.com/groups/hx20v/pool/

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion