We need a secure HDMI connector at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 7th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Trustee

We need a secure HDMI connector

HDMI is now widely used on video cameras for monitors and recorders. When the HDMI connector was designed, this application was probably not considered. HDMI connectors are easily dislodged with potentially disasterous results. If the HDMI output is being used for a recorder, the negative consequences are obvious. I haven't yet worked up the courage at a wedding to shout, "Cut! Take 2."

It would be a very worthwhile feature to provide a secure HDMI connector for cameras. This is a tall order because of the widespread use of the HDMI existing design. Perhaps cameras manufacturers could provide a means to securely hold the existing HDMI cables in place or use a special connector on the camera that could attach to an adapter cable.

I throw this out for all to see. Hopefully it will lead to a solution.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: We need a secure HDMI connector

While a "secure" connector has desirable points, what happens when a cable is "accidently" bumped or tugged, and the equipment attached to it topples over or is otherwise a victim of gravity... perhaps a "quick disconnect" is preferable in at least some situations? Better to lose signal than a camera?

Additionally, more and more input "jacks" are soldered to boards that may not take too well to greater forces being applied to them - a "secure" connector would need to be spec'd differently with a more robust attachment to the camera than an HDMI soldered to a bouard (which usually does have additional "reinforcing" in the form of a larger shell ALSO soldered to larger points on the board).

Just tossing out a few advantages to the current state of the design, which is in use on many "consumer" electronics - cameras, tablets, computers, TV's, various media players and devices, MOST of which would have either no room for or sufficiently "robust" construction to support a "secure" connector, nor would they benefit from one...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Trustee

'Secure' doesn't necessarily mean the connector needs to be 'fused' to the camera. A detenting scheme is sufficient. An example of a detenting connector is the 1/4" audio cable. It clicks into place when inserted so that it takes a bit of force to unplug.

I currently use a GH2 with a Zacuto Pro HDMI monitor. It attaches to the camera with a very short HDMI cable. On several occasions I have accidentally bumped and dislodged the cable when reaching around the camera to focus etc. The problem is that there is nothing to hold an HDMI cable in place. The force to unplug the cable is so slight that stiff cables are even a problem. This isn't generally an issue with applications such as a player connection to a TV in a home entertainment cabinet.

An XLR cable connector is an example of a locking connector. I have used XLR cables for years and like any competent videographer I take the appropriate steps to avoid the 'tripping over cable' problem. I don't need an HDMI connector as secure as a XLR connector but the near zero force required to unplug an HDMI cable is a real problem.
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Locking HDMI Cables and Connectors — Reviews and News from Audioholics
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Trustee

I have been considering buying a Canon C100. Apparantly it has a locking HDMI connector. That's good to see because I don't consider this an optional feature.
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Proprietary accessory no doubt but Small
HD has recently put out something to secure HDMI cables to
It's line of monitors. I can't comment on it specifically
as while I have received mine, I didn't have the chance
to check it out before leaving town. Perhaps it's construction
can be instructive for fashioning a DIY job on other devices.
The locking cables in the above post also look interesting.

And then there's always Velcro which I used when
Livestreaming via FireWire.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Major Player

My Canon 1D cameras both came with a device to lock the USB cable in place. A similar mechanism would be doable for HDMI connections at a price.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion