Frame rates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 28th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Frame rates

Hi gang. I'm somewhat new to digital editing & I need some help on the technical side. I've changed camcorders and where I had been shooting 1080p 30 fps, I no longer have that option. Now I have either 24 fps or 60 fps. iMovie doesn't seem to accept 60 fps - or, rather, seems to convert it to 30 fps anyway.

So, I'll most likely be shooting at 1080p 24 fps from now on. So when I edit my footage together I just start a new project at 24 fps and leave it at that? No other concerns? Or should I make my project 30 fps, which seems to be the standard that I see? I don't understand WHY I'd choose one over the other.

Where can I learn more about the technical side? I understand shooting (composition, lighting) and I understand the storytelling idea of editing, but I'm weak on the technical side - codecs, frame rates, key frames, etc.

Thanks,
Darryl
Darryl Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Frame rates

What's your intended end product Darryl? And will you mixing footage from the two cameras in the same project?
Old January 28th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: Frame rates

A few intended end products: DVD, HD Vimeo, HD TV. DVD mostly, but I do like HD output as well.

Yes, I would very likely be mixing footage from other cameras - 1080p 30 fps would be one alternate for sure. Could be others.

I shoot everything in 1080p so that I can recompose, tilt, pan & zoom in post-production without losing quality, editing down to a 720p final. If there's not too much zooming, I would stay in HD.
Darryl Jensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion