DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   external hard drive shelves/rack? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/514073-external-hard-drive-shelves-rack.html)

Josh Bass February 4th, 2013 10:50 PM

external hard drive shelves/rack?

I'm about to literally have umpteen-million external hard drives. Ok, maybe the exact opposite of literally. But I have a quite a few at this point and less and less desk space. Is there some kind of rack/shelf system I can use to stack some of them (at least the ones that lay flat as opposed to the upright kind)? Would any kind of simple would rack/shelf system do?

Roger Van Duyn February 5th, 2013 09:53 AM

Re: external hard drive shelves/rack?

I'm using a dozen stackable plastic hard drive storage cases by a company called ineo Tech. Then just put them on the book shelf.

The translucent plastic case says that it is anti-shock (probably meant to say anti-static), dust free, splash-proof, and stackable. They have a nice latching system, and labels.

They were a couple of bucks each. Maybe search amazon or google to find them.

Chris Hurd February 5th, 2013 10:09 AM

Thanks for the tip,Roger -- looks like that company offers an inexpensive USB3 drive enclosure:

And this storage case for two drives, well under $10:

Andy Wilkinson February 5th, 2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1777268)
.....at least the ones that lay flat as opposed to the upright kind....

Just curious about this (as I'm currently storing my many spare HDDs upright). Is there a reason that they should be stored flat???

David W. Jones February 5th, 2013 10:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
May not be what you are looking for, but here is a shot of one of my racks.

Panagiotis Raris February 5th, 2013 02:01 PM

backplane cages work. i leave all my externals in em.

Trevor Dennis February 5th, 2013 04:52 PM

Is cooling a problem when you get lots of drives stacked together? I'm thinking they would probably be unlikely to be under heavy load all at the same time, but if you had a PSU in the enclosure...

Josh Bass February 7th, 2013 11:33 PM

Sorry, shouldve mentioned i wasnt looking to store them/retire them, but a place to put them for active use. I read that they can "vibrate themselves to an early death" if not sitting on something that absorbs the vibrations caused by their use. Is this BS?

Re: upright vs flat --- some drives simply seem to be designed to lay flat (like my dark blue lacie) while others come with a stand and seem to be made to sit upright (like my other lacie).

So yeah, looking to consolidate them into a small area while keeping them useable. Am worried about heat, any other possible issues. Though i have quite a few drives at this point, can only realistically see having two on simultaneously most of the time, occasionally 3 or 4.