ATEM Software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 5th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #1
New Boot

ATEM Software

Is it in any way possible to use the ATEM software without having to connect my Macbook to the ATEM itself?

I do a lot of planning and creating on the fly or when i'm traveling, it would be nice if I could create DVE's and KEY effects and save it a few days before the live shows I mix where I use the ATEM.
Jasper Pieterse van Wijck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: ATEM Software

Two problems:

- the ATEM Control Software won't allow any access to the interface without the ATEM hardware attached via network

- there is NO state save available on the ATEM that works. If you change settings on the DVEs ahead of time while networked, SOMETIMES they stay the way you leave them.

You MAY want to send this question to a larger user base of BMD ATEM products at the BlackMagic Design forum accessible via their website or at atemuser.com, where there is a LARGE open source community that are doing strange things with the hardware and software.
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #3
New Boot

The only way to do this is if the ATEM is hooked into say, an Apple Airport router, you can still control it wirelessly if your Macbook is on that same network. This doesn't allow save state, as Shaun explained, but I didn't see anyone address that aspect, so I figured I'd mention it.

It's also possible to control your ATEM with multiple computers on the same network, so one could run the switcher, one run the audio controls, etc.
Jesse Pepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Jesse: if I understand Jasper Pieterse correctly, he would like to pre-build effects and DVE moves and pre-load still stores like we can with "Big Boy" switchers like GVGs or Ross Video switchers and then do a state save to be reloaded "on the day" all while not connected to the ATEM, say while flying to a location or while sitting in a hotel room.

Sadly, no. Partly because you can't access the software without an ATEM connected somehow (as you mention, wirelessly over a router/switch connected via ethernet works) and partly because even if you could, you can't save that data.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion