Doc camera - Sony NX70? Canon XF100? Struggling... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 11th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Doc camera - Sony NX70? Canon XF100? Struggling...

If it's any help, I find the sound on the XF100 very good using the XLR inputs with external microphones. The noise floor is very quiet. I got a used Sound Devices MixPre (not D) last year to see if adding that between my hypercardioid (AT4053b) and the XF100 would help the sound, and was surprised to find not much difference. I never use the built-in mics for anything except quick family stuff, but they aren't just terrible. If you're recording music I assume you won't be using the built-ins anyhow.

How truly dark are these concerts? Are you having to shoot at f1.4 and 1/30 sec @ 3200 iso on your dslr? If it's a dark basement but with lighting on the performers, you may be OK, especially with manually exposing for the highlights. If you're shooting in near darkness pointing at the crowd, you'll need to add a light.

It sounds like you need to find a place with a good return policy and just try a couple. Good luck!
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Dark.

Here's a good example :

There's a ton of other examples on my page.

Everything thus far, like in this 30 minute video, is filmed on a Vixia HFS21 full manual, and a 60D with a kit lens.

A longer example :

So, honestly, I think I'll be fine. Either camera would slay the two I have now, comparatively.

The 60D with a 1.4 will help in any serious pinch.

However, if I'm going to this large of an upgrade, I wanted to make it really count and get a good 2-3 years out of it.

The NX70 seems like it'd be a little better in low-light, but the detachable mic / controls, AVCHD, and a few other things I'm reading seem like a dealbreaker to me. As a whole, just seems like it's not grabbing anyone for the long haul.

Last edited by John Yingling; February 11th, 2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: buh
John Yingling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi John -

Just found this thread in a search. Curious to hear what camera you went with and how you're liking it, especially in low light situations...

Thanks!
Joel Guy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion