DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   If You Couldn't Get a Canon XA10, What Would You Buy Instead? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/514542-if-you-couldnt-get-canon-xa10-what-would-you-buy-instead.html)

Steve Struthers February 23rd, 2013 09:18 PM

If You Couldn't Get a Canon XA10, What Would You Buy Instead?

Hey all, I know this is yet another 'which camera' thread, but I thought I would put the question out there anyway. I had a Canon XA10 and foolishly sold it in favour of a Sony NEX-6, thinking that the NEX-6 could be an all-in-one device: travel camera, a replacement for my existing Canon T2i, and a camcorder.

I've been finding that I don't like the NEX-6 as much as I thought I would. I won't go into all the reasons here, but video quality is one.

I could always trick out my T2i and use that for shooting video, but I find getting accurate focus (aging eyes and alla that good stuff) is a pain and I don't know if getting an external monitor like a SmallHD DP4 and a loupe would be the answer. Plus, I do occasional 'talking-head' videos and the T2i lacks the continuous autofocus I would need for that purpose. Before getting the NEX-6, I looked at buying a Canon T4i and thought that the continuous AF sucked, badly. So I think I would rather have a dedicated camcorder.

I've been thinking about getting something other than a Canon XA10 this time around. The XA10 is a great camcorder, but I would like more physical controls - the touchscreen interface on the XA10 can be a pain to use, especially for gun-and-run situations where settings need to be changed on the fly. Plus, I found that the shape of the XA10 was such that it didn't fit my hand well and the camera became
uncomfortale to hold for more than a few minutes at a time.

So which camera - other than the XA10 - would you recommend I consider buying, and why?

Nate Haustein February 23rd, 2013 09:31 PM

Re: If You Couldn't Get a Canon XA10, What Would You Buy Instead?

Panasonic AC90 ticks off most of your boxes. I've heard good things and the price is right. Unless you want a large-sensor cam, that is...

Dave Blackhurst February 24th, 2013 06:47 PM

Re: If You Couldn't Get a Canon XA10, What Would You Buy Instead?

I read that "didn't fit my hand well and the camera became uncomfortale to hold for more than a few minutes at a time" and had to laugh a bit - I've been wondering lately if anyone tests some of the cams for ergonomics before they release them!

Just sold one model Sony camcorder that didn't feel "right", the prior year cam fit almost like a glove, the newest one even better... Been struggling with a different model that is very front heavy, and causes a lot of stress on my entire arm, most of which shows up a day later as joint pain.

Finding an "all in one" is sort of a Holy Grail proposition, as you're finding out! Video cameras tend to be optimized one way, still cameras another, and they never quite seem to "cross over". Then there's the challenge of different form factors, each with their quirks.

Probably not an "answer" to your quest, but at least a commisseration might make you feel better!

I'd suggest the DSC-RX100, but it doesn't have a VF, and the screen is small ("old eyes" really suck, I'm finding out!). Maybe an SLT A65 or A57, but if you don't like the NEX6, not sure whether you'd hit the same snags... and there are times when a video camera is just "better".