BluRay disc won't play in customers player at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 26th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #1
New Boot

BluRay disc won't play in customers player

Just recently have an issue with blu ray media. I have been using Verbatim BR discs for delivery for almost three years now with no issues for the clients. My last client delivery had issues with disc not playing, the menu not coming up and such. I tested them all before delivery and they were fine on both Sony and Panasonic players. To make a long story short the client has a 3 year old Samsung Blu ray player. Anybody have any luck with a BR media brand that works with this brand of player?
Larry Baran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

re: BluRay disc won't play in customers player

It would almost be easier and cheaper for you to get the client a new BD player by the time you buy the discs, reburn them and hope they work it might be worth the money. They are pretty cheap now compared to what they were just a year ago. . Just sayin'.
Old February 27th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: BluRay disc won't play in customers player

And they all seem to come with USB sockets now, and great menu systems for playing your AVI files etc. etc. The cheap as chips player I have made my WDTV Live media player redundant because it did the same job way way better.
Old February 27th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #4
Inner Circle

are you sure your client use a BD player ? not DVD ?
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Larry

Even DVD's can be a problem never mind BD!! There seems to be a common link between the burner you are using and the media you use for all optical disks and that determines how compatible they are with various players. I haven't yet dabbled in BluRay as yet as I have no demand but found that using the same manufacturer's disks with the burner does help...All my burners for DVD are LG and I use LG media (yeah I know they probably all come from one factory) but a year or so back I changed media to Lazer and the disks wouldn't play in a multitute of players and that cost BIG money..burning new disks, sending them out, burning another set and so on until the penny dropped and I switch back to LD media ....Never had a issue since so maybe BD media is the same. If it helps any disks on my Samsung burner (it's in the bin now) also had issues regardless of media type!! There is a website that compares DVD burners/Media/ Player compatibility somewhere so if that exists I bet there is now one for BluRay .... ??? It's worth a look??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks fella's its the darnest thing have not had a problem up till now was hoping someone had a similiar issue with the name of a brand of media that would work on Samsungs finest.
Larry Baran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #7
Major Player

are they dual layer, or single? clients BD model number? most likely firmware related issue; they may need to update their firmware. i have run into this many times and some old/launch model BD players have no firmware updates that work.

total PITA.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
It would almost be easier and cheaper for you to get the client a new BD player by the time you buy the discs, reburn them and hope they work it might be worth the money. They are pretty cheap now compared to what they were just a year ago. . Just sayin'.
^ yeah ^ Current Sonys are $A86.00 here now.

Cheers.
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #9
New Boot

fwiw, in every contract we include a line about producing discs to industry standard, and can't be held accountable if your player is rogue...

It doesn't really help the client watch the disc, but at least if we need to help them out they understand we're going above and beyond.
Tom Dowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:57 AM   #10
Major Player

The first couple generations of Samsung BR players simply would not play burned media at all. (even DVD-R's wouldn't work).

I have two newer Samsung BR players and they play everything I've burned.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:38 AM   #11
Regular Crew

There is also the issue of the newer LTH discs not being recognized by the early generation of burners. Nor will those discs play in early BD players.
Fred Tims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:29 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I think it was some of the first year players that wouldn't play burned media. Few second year players handled LTH discs. LTH support came a bit later than support for standard burned BDs, across the industry. These days, most any newish brand-name player should handle burned media and LTH, though it still pays to check the specs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion