First airline to charge by weight! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Trustee

First airline to charge by weight!

I've always wondered why I can bring aboard 2 50lb bags full of camera equipment, and be charged the same as a little lady with 2 small bags. That's about to change.
Samoa Air introduces first weight-based airfare policy - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

To make it fair for everyone, all the airline needs to do now is to install a bench/row style seating, with adjustable arm rests to accomodate different widths of passengers. lol
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: First airline to charge by weight!

We have a great many 'Islanders' here in New Zealand, and you don't see many skinny ones. Especially the women. One of our small local airlines flies between Picton and Wellington using Cessna Caravan aircraft. I've seen the pilot (who is the sole crew) put his shoulder behind a particularly large Islander gentleman trying to force him through the door!

Sounds Air Flights to Wellington from Picton, Blenheim & Nelson

Thankfully I was not on that flight! The route from Picton to Cook Straight takes the aircraft through mountainous terrain, and you frequently hear alarms going off at the front of the plane when it hits a particularly bad down draft. I've seen the pilots hit the instrument panel with the flat of their hand to make an errant instrument correct itself. Locals have nicknamed the company after certain WW2 Japanese flights where the pilot wore a red head band, and didn't expect to be coming back.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: First airline to charge by weight!

lol .. they didn't take it far enough, they should do a tie up with Jenny Craig :)

We did Oz a/v progs for Phillippine Air Lines, they tried it locally in their islands, and through the screwups in the terminals,
they got the name PAL, Plane Always Late.

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; April 3rd, 2013 at 04:07 PM.
Allan Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion