safe power in India at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 22nd, 2005, 09:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

safe power in India

Hi,
I'm going to be living in India (second time), in Mumbai/Bombay. The first time I went I didn't have a computer. I am making a no-budget documentary and I have an apple powerbook g4, an external Lacie 250GB drive, an apple ipod, and 2 mini DV video cameras. I know that the power in the sockets fluctuates a lot. Some have said that the AC adapters are enough to prevent damage to the equipment. Is this true? I have heard of suggestions of getting "surge protectors", but aren't those for things like lightning. I thought they weren't good for smaller fluctuations in power. I will of course get adapters. any suggestions would be great!
Tim Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 04:38 AM   #2
Major Player

From India

Hy TIM. The power situation arent bad at all in India at least in the Bigger cities.Dont go by what the other people are claiming for my country. we use High end equipment on the normal power we get & do use CVT to safeguard it further. there shouldnt be any problem for your minidv type gear ... there are much more advanced equipment in use & have been working by using the power.

It is the west which is creating all sorta myths about India though they love to travel & then they spew words like Developing or 3rd world country for India.

Be confident this time again you will get as good or as bad power as you get in your country.
Old September 24th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks for the confidence Bankim Jain! What is a CVT?
Tim Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:33 AM   #4
Major Player

Sorry for the rather late reply as i was out for my shoots.

CVT = Constant Voltage Transformer. You can keep that hooked & be assured of pure sine wave power (there are units available to help you to get that).
Old October 7th, 2005, 04:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Tim

it doesnt matter where you are you should protect your gear. Here in florida we have our share of problems with electricity as well

this means at the minimum proper surge protectors but even better plug things into a good UPS

We use UPS's for all computer gear as well as video gear especially when on the road.

Another plus of course is that if you loose power whatever you are doing doesnt stop immediately
Old October 7th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #6
Major Player

yeah a UPS is a better alternative to a CVT any given day. either you travel with a universal voltage trans or you can easily buy when you reach India...BTW when do you plan to visit India...& is it thru Delhi or Mumbai ???

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion