Sony DSR-70 genlock/sync at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony DSR-70 genlock/sync

Hello all,

I have a Sony DSR-70 DVCam VTR, I also have a Sony BVS-3100 8-input composite switcher. I am wanting to use the DSR-70 as a "instant replay" machine. I am needing assistance with how to sync the DSR-70 into the switcher.

I have 4 cameras that are genlocked into the switcher as inputs 1-4. I am wanting to use input #5 for the DSR-70. I see that it has reference inputs and outputs.

Here is my question: I am wanting to input the program output of the switcher to the DSR-70, then take the output of the DSR-70 back into the switcher as input #5. I know the DSR-70 needs a reference input to record, and the DSR-70 needs to be genlocked to the BVS-3100. My question is; how would i do this?

Thank you in advance for your help!!
Zach Legleiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony DSR-70 genlock/sync

Give both the BVS-3100 and the DSR70 the same reference (the same that the cameras have), and then you should be able to switch to the DSR-70 when it's playing back without a problem.

If you switch to it while it's recording you will probably get a non-sync signal (as well as a loop!).
Sander Vreuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I am using the "BLACKBURST" output signal from the BVS-3100 to genlock the cameras. The BVS-3100 has and internal reference signal generator.

The DSR-70 requires sync for the input signal in order to record which in my case is the program output of the BVS-3100.

I also need to use the output of the DSR-70 as input #5 on the BVS-3100 switcher. The switcher requires sync for each input.

Right now i have blackburst from the switcher supplying each of the 4 CCU's for the cameras. The DSR-70 needs sync to be able to record. I have a TBC that i can use to genlock the output of the DSR-70 back to the switcher just like the 4 cameras (if that will work?)

I just need to be able to sync the program output of the switcher to the input of the DSR-70. How would i do that? (The BVS-3100 does have a "GENLOCK" input which the manual describes as "Used to input the reference blackburst signal when operating the unit synchronized with an externally generated reference signal."

I guess all i am needing to know is: how can i sync the program output of the Switcher to the Input of the DSR-70.

Thanks again for your help!!
Zach Legleiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

A recorder usually does not need reference for recording. It syncs to the incoming signal. Especially seeing as the PGM output of the switcher

It does need reference for playing back. It will sync it's output to the incoming reference signal, which enables you to switch it.

The reference needs to be the same that the other items in the chain are gettings, such as the camera and the switcher.

You do not need a TBC.

Just connect your program CVBS signal to the input of the DSR-70.
Connect reference to the Reference input of the DSR-70.
Connect video out of the DSR-70 to input 5 of the BVS-3100.
Sander Vreuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Another question, I am just now getting back to this.

The CCU's for the camera's have SC Phase and H Phase controls on them, and i have them genlocked into the BVS-3100 and it is working great. The DSR-70 does not have SC Phase or H Phase controls (that i have found). How do i phase the DSR-70 into the switcher with the Camera's? or do i even need to do that?

Thank you all for your help!
Zach Legleiter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion