Bolex 8mm D8L repair? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 29th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Bolex 8mm D8L repair?

Hello,

I have recently bought a D8L and would like to have it professionally looked over but I have no idea where to take it. I have called all my local camera repair shops and they have said they do not provide that service.. So I am hoping one of you might know a business that will clean and lubricate and make sure it is in running condition.

Thanks for your help!
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Bolex 8mm D8L repair?

I know a few 16mm & 35mm servicing places in the US, but a google came up with this and you could check them out:. BOLEX REPAIR
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Terry, after you get it serviced, can you let us know where, cost and what you think of their service.

And maybe everything else .. where you buy your film stock .. get it processed etc.

Cheers.
Old June 4th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

How interesting!!!

what is your plan with the super 8 filming?

In the 60's I shot with an 16m bolex and bottom line was I really could not afford the entire process!!
Old June 12th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Brian - Thanks for the link and the article!

I hope to eventually be able to shoot a short 10 minute 8mm film with sound and project it on my wall. The goal is to learn how to edit the footage and how to apply sound then project the footage without digitizing it.. but I have no idea how I can get sound or what the best route is to "editing" the footage.

I understand that the film needs to be "processed" before I can splice and project it.. Can anyone verify that detail?

Thanks a lot everyone!
Old June 13th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Terry yes it does. You've got a lot of research and studying to do before you shoot any film.
It's not like digital video cameras, film and its processing costs bucks each time you shoot some. You shoot it and post it off to be processed at a film lab. Then they send it back to you, you can waste heaps if you don't understand it.

There maybe a film camera club in Louisville you can join up with, try Googling.

Cheers.
Old June 13th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Sound on 8mm isn't a simple process. You'll need to put a magnetic strip onto the film and have an sound 8mm projector. Sync dialogue (even sound in general) is a problem to be overcome and editing 8mm is very different to a NLE, you need to change your mindset.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Brian - I was just in Belfast teaching English. Is it finally warming up?

This is a whole learning process that I am taking on myself. I completely understand that I am not going to be able to bust this camera out and shoot good footage. The reason for buying the camera is to learn.
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I suspect our summer came last week, there was a series of days with blue skies.

8mm can be great fun. However, the camera you've got is a Regular 8 format camera, so be aware that it'll be more difficult to find stock compared to Super 8 and the choice is more limited.

Some possible sources:
internationalfilm
The LIFT Store: Regular 8, Super 8, 16mm and more | Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto
Standard 8 Film - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop
KAHL Film & TV
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion