Assorted posts from 2002Q4 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 25th, 2002, 06:44 AM   #16
Major Player

Buying info + editing

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board.
Been following it for a whlie though.

I'm going to buy myself a decent camera. I don't really know
what to buy though. I've been looking at the XL1s for a long time
now but I've recently discoverd the Panasonic 24p and the JVC HD
camera. So now I'm confused. I like the fact that you can change
lenses and overall I like Canon. Good thing is that I can use my
Canon SLR lenses with the XL1s with an adapter. I can imagine the
results being a bit, well not the best. I don't know. Then again
I like the Panasonic for being 24p and for it beeing true progressive.
JVC HD, well I'm really not in to that.. It's a great feat but.. I have doubts
to how much diffrence it would make for me. I've done films on a old
Sony handycam and I'm ready to step it up.

What are your expert advices? What camera can you recomend me?
How much diffrence it there between Canons "Frame Mode" and True
Progressive scan?

I have another question. I bougt myself a new editing system (Brand new
high speed computer) and a Pinnacle DV500 Plus. I'm not pleased with the
export between diffrent medias as native DV and let's say, MPEG1.
I find the "DV Tools" (Captureing program) to be, a bit "toy like"
Any of you use DV 500 or have heard somthing good or bad about it?

My second tecnical question: How do my editing system know it's not
captureing interlaced video but Progressive? Or even Canon Frame Mode?
I've not yet figured this part out.

Thank you!
Ps. I like the nice and humble feel to this board

/Andreas
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2002, 08:40 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

<< I've recently discoverd the Panasonic 24p and the JVC HD
camera. >>

The JVC camcorder is a concept only. It is not even available yet.

<< I like the fact that you can change lenses and overall I like Canon. Good thing is that I can use my Canon SLR lenses with the XL1s with an adapter. I can imagine the results being a bit, well not the best. I don't know. >>

The results are excellent, however the focal length of any 35mm lens is multiplied by a factor of 7.2. See "Guide to XL1 Lens Options" in the Articles section at http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm

<< Then again I like the Panasonic for being 24p and for it beeing true progressive. >>

Extensive info about this camera in our DVX100 forum at http://new.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=47

<< What camera can you recomend me? >>

We get this question a lot. Ultimately, the right camera for you is the one which feels best in your hands and whose image you like best on the screen. The most important advice is, "try before you buy."

<< How much diffrence it there between Canons "Frame Mode" and True Progressive scan? >>

The results are pretty much the same. Frame Movie mode acheives the same look as progessive scan, but by different means.

<< I bougt myself a new editing system (Brand new high speed computer) and a Pinnacle DV500 Plus. Any of you use DV 500 or have heard somthing good or bad about it? >>

See our PC-based Editing Forum at http://new.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=31 -- a search will turn up the different discussions we've had about the DV500.

<< How do my editing system know it's not captureing interlaced video but Progressive? Or even Canon Frame Mode? >>

Regardless of how the camera head is processing the incoming video signal (progressive scan, Frame Movie mode, etc.), it is all recorded to tape in the same way, as normal interlace, so that your playback monitor, televisions and editing systems never know the difference. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2002, 03:48 PM   #18
_redone_

broadcast ratio

i recently did a TV spot to be broadcast on TV. I was informed
that final broadcast resolution should be 720x486 as opposed
to 720x480. I was un-aware of this..though ive never heard of this being
true in the past ,.

Any comments???
www.eatdrinkmedia.com
Adam Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2002, 06:39 PM   #19
Warden

I've looked this up in several reference books and Standard Definition (SD) is 720 X 480 interlaced. A newer catagory, Enhanced Definition, is defined as 720 X 480 progressive or greater. High Definition (HD) is defined as 1920 X1080 interlaced or 1280 X 720 progressive.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 11:50 AM   #20
Wrangler

Good Cheap Monitor. Not Too Big.

My old monitor is dying. I am look for something 9" to 15" that isn't too expensive.

Any ideas?

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 03:23 AM   #21
Outer Circle

Radio Shack.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 03:20 PM   #22
Slash Rules!

Cavision matte box and Century .6x wide angle adapter are fighting and want a divorce

Does anyone have the unique combination of Cavision's 4x4 bellows style matte box (for use with the XL1s) and Century's .6x wide angle adapter? If so, do you get vignetting? I had the bellows all the way compacted (or whatever the technical term is) and still I could see the corners of it in the frame, with the adapter on. I'm not sure I'm fitting the pieces together right. It looks like the plastic adapter ring (from 100m to 85mm) just butts up against the adapter, and doesn't screw in or clamp on to it, so that the matte box is held in place only by the mounting plate.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 06:30 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Varizoom 5.2" TFT Monitor

I just had my third Varizoom 5.2" TFT monitor go out on me today in less than three months. Has anyone else had problems with these? I use this with my XL1S and treat it like glass yet the picture still keeps going out. I'm planning on returning this one and looking at another brand. My biggest concern is that I need a monitor with at least a three hour battery life and hopefully a better way of connecting the battery then the Varizoom. Anyone have any suggestions? Are the Marshall monitors any good? Trying to stay under $500 if possible.

Greg
Greg Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 06:39 PM   #24
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Tiffen has a new one that supposedly can be used in daylight. No info on cost yet. You can see it at http://www.tiffen.com
Old November 16th, 2002, 02:01 PM   #25
Slash Rules!

Another case file closed. Cavision apparently forgot to send me one of the adapter rings.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 09:40 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Broadcast standard resource

I have noticed a lot of questions on the board relating to standards of different techincal aspects of video-TV production. There is a very good guide published by Cannel 4 here in the UK that deals with these things. I assume there is something similar for all you non-PAL people, but until someone will share the link to such a document I would recommend a quick glance at this.

http://www.channel4.co.uk/4producers..._technical.pdf

It deals with the technical requirements of the productions they comission - and they are the same as most of the UK based channels. Bear in mind that some of these requirements does come from the fact that digital TV has come very far over here.

It is a good read nevertheless - it even deals with the 'film' look...;)
Old November 21st, 2002, 05:56 PM   #27
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Great resource, Jon. Thanks.
Old November 26th, 2002, 04:58 PM   #28
Trustee

Need advice on possible speech shoot

I might have the opportunity to film a talk by Paul Watson from the Sea Shepherd Convervation society tomorrow (not comfirmed yet) and I'd want to put the talk up on the web for those who can't make it. This is all late notice type of stuff so I have no idea what sound setup there will be or what the venue will be like. I will only have my camera (Xm2) and a Me66 and some XLR cable ;)

What I'm wanting is some advice on how to shoot something like this with a limited setup. Should I tripod it, frame it and have a sleep while he talks, or should I maybe zoom in and out a bit at moments when there are gaps in the speech, to make it a little interesting (I can edit out the zooms, so it will cut to closeups etc). Should I just frame most/all of his body and just pan around and follow him if he moves.

If he has a break, or I get the chance to move the tripod, should I do it? To the other side of the hall, or up a lot closer, or more underneath him if he's on a stage?

I know there are a lot of variables, but any rough advice for getting reasonably footage, that will not bore the pants of viewers would be good.

I'm hoping there is a desk I can jack the cam into for sound, but if not I'll have to cam mount the ME66 (I don't have a mic stand I can place the mic on to get close to him)

Thanks.
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2002, 07:14 PM   #29
Trustee

Film the whole thing and then edit together a highlights piece. If you can get a copy of his speech that would help and then you could zoom in for the important stuff.

As for the general speech, I'd mix up the shots as much as you can, but don't get too carried away. If you could borrow a second camera that would really help, even if it was just a single chipper. You could set it on the tripod as your wide shot then use the XM for close work as you move aound the room.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2002, 09:40 AM   #30
Major Player

Watch dog

Anything new coming to Watchdog?
B. Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion