DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   keeping track of batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/517172-keeping-track-batteries.html)

Robert Bobson June 13th, 2013 07:59 AM

keeping track of batteries

i have a variety of cameras, audio recorders, monitors, mini-lights, etc - and they all have their own batteries and battery chargers - and some look quite similar.

so I took some of the wife's nail polish and put dots of the same color on the ones that went together. works great - wish I had done it year's ago!

YOU'RE WELCOME!

Chris Medico June 13th, 2013 09:25 AM

Re: keeping track of batteries

I do a very similar thing with a set of paint pens from the local craft store. The paint is much more durable than a label. I also number the batteries so I can rotate them through and keep the number of cycles as even as possible.

Steven Digges June 13th, 2013 11:14 AM

I label the transformer power supplies. I have so many of those little black boxes its ridiculous. Plugging the wrong one into a piece of gear can damage it. Over fifteen years ago I blew up a 20 year old Radio Shack mixer. Many of you other dinosaurs may have even seen the model, they made millions of them. A black thing with four channels, all RCA. Battery power or plug in. I lost the transformer so I plugged in "something that fit". About twenty minutes later it actually went BANG, I jumped, and smoke came out of it. Quite comical! I have joked a lot about gear blowing up, that piece really did. I had some good history with cheap little mixer.

And yes, I knew better, even then, but it was from Radio Shack. Lesson learned. Read those tiny specs, they matter.

Steve

Don Bloom June 13th, 2013 12:52 PM

Steven,
f it's the one I'm thinking about I still have it and believe it or not, it still works or at least did the last time I played with it about 5 years ago. I found it cleaning out some stuff in my garage and I think I left it there. hmm, maybe I'll dig it out and sell it on the big auction site. I might be able to sell it for a dollar more than what it would cost to mail it. Naw, probably not. BTW, I do have the transformer...I think. :-0

Steven Digges June 13th, 2013 01:07 PM

It is priceless Don!

Once upon a time I needed to cut a sound track for a slide show. I had a audio cassette player with a broken headphone jack. I took it apart, cut the speaker wires, and soldered RCA jacks to them. Ran them into the RS mixer. A sound track was born! Line level, mic level, speaker level, what the hell did that mean? The sound track was played before 300 people from a fortune 500 company.

Steve

Don Bloom June 13th, 2013 02:38 PM

You know what they say about the mother of invention! ;-)