DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   How to make lanc cable run a long distance? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/517372-how-make-lanc-cable-run-long-distance.html)

Kenny Shem June 24th, 2013 06:38 AM

How to make lanc cable run a long distance?

I am not sure how long lanc cable can run but I am sure it is not long. If I want to control my cam using lanc over a distance of 30-50 meters, how can I do that? Is there any device which can convert lanc to another format for long distance traveling? If not lanc, is there any other protocol for camera control?

Mark Watson June 24th, 2013 07:51 AM

Re: How to make lanc cable run a long distance?

Good question..

These guys recommend you stay under 75 meters.
Daguerro's Free Technical Library for TV & Film Camera Equipment

This web-page mentions their LANC gear will work at distances of 200feet.
LANC Remote Controller and LANC Control Extension Cables.

They sell the extension cords in 100ft lengths here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/282119-REG/VariZoom_VZ_EXT_L100_VZEXTL100_100_LANC_Extension.html

Kenny Shem June 24th, 2013 08:23 AM

Hi Mark thanks for the link and info. I don't expect lanc cable to be able to run that long. 200ft? That's pretty amazing compared to hmdi which is so short.

Jeff Pulera June 24th, 2013 08:54 AM

Hi Kenny,

When talking about sending video long distances, that becomes an issue as quality degrades over longer paths. HDMI in particular is good for short runs only. But think about audio cables and how far they can go - I would think LANC would be quite similar and distance would not be an issue.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Dave Blackhurst June 24th, 2013 03:44 PM

As Jeff said, the LANC "signal" is pretty basic, not like a video stream, it should be able to be extended quite a bit... how far do you actually have to go?

Allan Black June 24th, 2013 05:54 PM

At 50meters (164') with the right cable you'll be Ok. Make sure you anchor each end of the cable properly, tape them up and don't put any drag on the cable,
LANC connectors aren't that stable.

How are you going to monitor the picture?

Cheers.

D.J. Ammons June 24th, 2013 09:16 PM

As others have mentioned there is a world of difference between a simple LANC cable and an HDMI one. HDMI cables are pretty much the exception to the rule. I can't think of any other type calbe that has such a limited length without using a repeater.

A LANC cable is not carrying an HDMI signal just simple commands for equipment operation. You are good to go for the length you need.

Kenny Shem June 25th, 2013 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1801814)
At 50meters (164') with the right cable you'll be Ok. Make sure you anchor each end of the cable properly, tape them up and don't put any drag on the cable,
LANC connectors aren't that stable.

How are you going to monitor the picture?

Cheers.

I am going to run hd-sdi cable to my monitor for distance monitoring. With the lancs cabling, I will be able to do focus and zooming too.

Kenny Shem June 25th, 2013 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.J. Ammons (Post 1801829)
As others have mentioned there is a world of difference between a simple LANC cable and an HDMI one. HDMI cables are pretty much the exception to the rule. I can't think of any other type calbe that has such a limited length without using a repeater.

A LANC cable is not carrying an HDMI signal just simple commands for equipment operation. You are good to go for the length you need.

ya you are right. lanc is not as complex as hmdi cable.

Kenny Shem June 25th, 2013 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1801803)
As Jeff said, the LANC "signal" is pretty basic, not like a video stream, it should be able to be extended quite a bit... how far do you actually have to go?

Dave, I am looking at a length of 50 meters because that's the current length of my hd sdi cables.

Kenny Shem June 25th, 2013 03:44 AM

By the way, anyone knows which consumer grade camcorder comes with LANC function? I am referring to sony handycam kind of cam.

Dave Blackhurst June 25th, 2013 02:46 PM

There is a LANC interface in ALL the higher end "consumer" Sony handycams - it's "hidden" in the A/V jack, there are adapters for the traditional 3.5mm (2.5mm?) plug. Check the specs for the model you're looking at, and see if "LANC" is listed anywhere, if it is, the camera should accept LANC signal. If it's not listed, post the specific model and hopefully it will be possible to check compatibility for you.

Zoom should be fine, not sure about "focus" control via LANC on the Sonys - there can be some differences in implementation of the various possible functions available on the LANC port - I can confirm on/off, record start/stop, photo, and zoom... beyond that, there may or may not be compatibility issues with the specific LANC controller you are planning to use.

Allan Black June 25th, 2013 05:14 PM

Kenny, why are you planning to be 50-meters away from this camera? If it's because you'll be running another camera at say a sports event ...
then you're going to have your hands full.

If so, it maybe better to run the distant camera on auto focus and just LANC control the start/stop, zoom and framing and forget about LANC focusing.
Might make it easier and cheaper to find a LANC controller too.

Cheers.

Kenny Shem June 25th, 2013 11:31 PM

yes, I will be running multiple cams for a seminar and sports event thus wish to have a main control area which I can control those cams. Yeah I guess auto focus will be the way to go. Not all lanc can control cam focus?

Allan Black June 26th, 2013 02:30 AM

Whoaaa multiple cams. No offence but if you haven't got experience doing this stuff with reliable rigs, then trouble is looming big time.

For instance, how big and how long is each event, will the other cameras need LANC controllers and monitors, will you have enough storage on each camera,
will you have to change all their cards mid event, how are you covering the audio, from the PA?, how are you going to sync the footage in post,
how soon do they expect to see a finished video after each event?

For a start, I'd get some camera operators, maybe with their own gear, start calling around.

Hope this helps, other folk are reading this and you're helping them too, maybe I can pick up a few tips from your experience, hang in there mate.

Cheers.