Data Recovery (please help) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 30th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Data Recovery (please help)

I accidentally formatted a 3TB external HD on my mac that had a TON of videos on it - including ProRes files, FCP files, XDCAM footage, raw dslr footage and more (about 2TBs worth). I tried Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery with no luck, and I am now trying Wondershare data recovery. Wondershare seems to be finding the files, but a lot of them seem to be corrupted and unplayable. Wondershare (which is still scanning) has actually found 5TBs worth of data which is confusing to me because that's 2TBs bigger than the drives capacity.

Can anyone please recommend a program that could possibly help get my data back?
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Data Recovery (please help)

We use Data Rescue at work with great sucess.
Data Rescue 3 - Mountain Lion Recovery & Mac Recovery Software | Prosofteng

But remember to restore the files to another drive and not the same you are rescuing.
Petter Flink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Darden View Post
I accidentally formatted a 3TB external HD on my mac that had a TON of videos on it - including ProRes files, FCP files, XDCAM footage, raw dslr footage and more (about 2TBs worth). I tried Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery with no luck, and I am now trying Wondershare data recovery. Wondershare seems to be finding the files, but a lot of them seem to be corrupted and unplayable. Wondershare (which is still scanning) has actually found 5TBs worth of data which is confusing to me because that's 2TBs bigger than the drives capacity.

Can anyone please recommend a program that could possibly help get my data back?
Did you do a quick format or full format? If you did a full format, chances are you won't find much.

Anyway, I've had a lot of luck with this program:
Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:30 AM   #4
New Boot

Hello Oliver,

Despite the suggested recovery software solutions are a well known ones and that they work for some kind of files, it's really uncertain that you could retrieve all your videos using them. Reason for that is the fragmentation of your disk and the way they try to bring back the clips (the fact that Wondershare is finding 5TB of clips in a 3TB disk is a good example of that).

I would suggest you to try a different approach. You will need a two steps set up to first bring back the media (make it visible again in the disk) and then repair it (make it playable). That kind of service is usually offered by a profesional video repair service like aero Quartet: Video Apps and Repair Service.

To check whether you could retrieve the media in the disk, you could use Treasured • Tool for Video Diagnostics and Repair and get an idea about the cost involved. Best of luck!

Kind Regards,
Javier
Javier Boronat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the reply everyone. I can't believe it, but I got all my videos back.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier Boronat View Post
That kind of service is usually offered by a profesional video repair service like aero Quartet: Video Apps and Repair Service.
That's exactly what I did Javier! The Wondershare program found and restored all my video files, but unfortunately most of the files were corrupted and unplayable. I frantically searched online for a solution and came across http://mp4repair.org. They personally looked at my damaged video files and created a kit / app for me that specifically repaired the files. It was totally affordable and worked like a charm. I highly recommend http://aeroquartet.com/ if you ever mess up like I did.
Old July 4th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

That is really great news and at an affordable price as well.
Congrats.
Petter Flink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 02:23 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petter Flink View Post
That is really great news and at an affordable price as well.
Congrats.
Ya, especially considering when I was freaking out and desperate I called a few local companies, and they told me it would be anywhere from $1500 - $3000 for them to restore my files...
Old May 19th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #8
Tourist

Quote:

You'd better do a test with a trial-version of the software to see if it can actually recover anything, before you buy this software.
Jean Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Tourist

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Ivan View Post
You'd better do a test with a trial-version of the software to see if it can actually recover anything, before you buy this software.
Well,it's a powerful software.
Jean Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #10
Major Player

ive tried alot and none have worked. i shot a speech last week on my ex1r onto a 32gb sxs card.
forgot to dump the footage to computer, so i formatted in the camera on my next shoot. fortunately i did not rerecord onto it. ive tried remo, disc dr. nothing.
i dl the demo of data rescue and it found the bpav folder, and i realzed because it was a demo, i couldnt save that info.
so i am gonna dl the data rescue pc3 praying i will be able to get the footage.
my client will go thru the roof if i dont have her speech.
has anyone had my issue trying to get data off an sxs card?
crossing my fingers.
jim
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 06:32 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Ya, especially considering when I was freaking out and desperate I called a few local companies, and they told me it would be anywhere from $1500 - $3000 for them to restore my files...
Now that you restored your files, buy a second large HDD, and resolve to always keep your files on 2 (or more) separate backup systems.
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 01:03 PM   #12
Major Player

aero quartet does me no good, as im on a pc.
are there any other good programs out there, ive tried remo, disk drs, no luck
accidentally reformatted s x s card but didnt record over that,
Old November 24th, 2015, 01:08 PM   #13
Inner Circle

You might try linux, see here for some rescue options: https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorial...recovery-tools
I had a external harddrive go bad that was not recognized by windows anymore, I have a dualboot system with windows 7 and linux and under linux I was able to retrieve all data from the drive.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #14
Major Player

looked at the linux info u sent. it seems to apply to data off desktops,
amazing in this day and age, theres absolutely nothing out there.
plus at linux, you cannot get a live voice, didnt think they were that behind the times not having anyone answer the phone
Old November 24th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #15
Inner Circle

You can always try to see if it helps since everything linux involved is free.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion