DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   video capture on motion detection (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/517515-video-capture-motion-detection.html)

Bart Wierzbicki July 2nd, 2013 04:29 AM

video capture on motion detection

Hi,

I'm looking for some kind of software that starts recording video
as soon as motion is detected.
I know this is possible with IP camera's but mostly the image quality is not good.
Is it possible to have a handycam to record ?

Alastair Traill July 2nd, 2013 07:33 AM

Re: video capture on motion detection

Hi Bart,

I have been interested in this problem for some time. I did come across a program that I thought would provide an answer. This program detected motion in recorded material. I lost interest when I found it cost ~ $7000.

There are now surveillance cameras that have interesting outputs like 1080p50 or 1080p60 via SDI. I think these cameras probably detect motion and I am testing one at the moment for a different role.

My interest is recording wild life material e.g. birds. Many have regular habits and may return to the same spot every now and then. As it takes a while for my camera to start recording from the power off state I am considering letting the camera record at a selected site in case the animal returns. Rather than looking at the full recording of perhaps very little I plan to set up a second camera at the same site but recording in time-lapse. At the end of the session I would look at the time-lapse material to see if anything of interest happened. If it has, I should be able easily locate it on the main recording. If nothing is noted I plan to re-format and try again. I am intending to use a GoPro as the time lapse camera as it provides intervals such as 0.5, 1, 2 and 5 seconds. If the idea works I should have material from before, after and during the visit which will provide more material for editing.

Bart Wierzbicki July 2nd, 2013 08:06 AM

Hi Alastair,

yes, but that is what I don't get.
I see a lot of use of capturing video when motion is detected, but that is almost only on surveillance camera's or ip camera's etc. Most of those camera's have terrible quality.
But I'm wondering why it is that difficult to have the same functionality in software that can control a HD camera ?
The way you are doing it now with 2 camera's seems like a big workaround.
There has to be an easier way in doing it. :)

Chris Medico July 2nd, 2013 10:19 AM

Why not get something like this and interface it to a motion detector?

Pro-Lanc

Seth Bloombaum July 2nd, 2013 10:22 AM

I haven't yet tried to use it for wildlife, but Magic Lantern is a free firmware hack for many Canon dSLR cameras. It has a motion detection method that works for still photos.

Magic Lantern is a community developed and supported firmware extension, the developers may add video motion detect if they find it interesting.