DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Possible to burn live to blue ray disk? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/517614-possible-burn-live-blue-ray-disk.html)

Carol Havelka July 6th, 2013 01:33 PM

Possible to burn live to blue ray disk?

I do a fair amount of live event work. In order to get the product out immediately I often burn live to a DVDirect recorder. However, the DVDirect burner only allows me to provide SD footage to my client. Not really a problem but now am looking to provide HD footage. (Which I assume means burning to blue ray).

Is it possible to burn HD live directly from my camera to an HD stand alone burner and if so what is the piece of equipment I need to accomplish this with?

Sorry if this is not listed in the correct section -- I'm a newbie and don't post often.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Tim Polster July 7th, 2013 08:18 AM

Re: Possible to burn live to blue ray disk?

Carol, you would need a stand alone Blu-ray recorder. I have one of these for DVD but I have never checked to see if they have then for Blu-ray. I am sure HDMI would be the interfaced used.

I think Google is your best way to find out or call B&H and tell them what you are trying accomplish.

David Stoneburner July 7th, 2013 09:02 AM

I believe JVC has one. Here is the link JVC Professional Features page

Carol Havelka July 7th, 2013 09:14 AM

Thanks to you both for your insights. The DVD standalone I use for DVD live burn now is under $200. The JVC model looks WONDERFUL but the price point was a shocker! (Almost $3K!)

Yes, will contact B & H as well -- thought I'd start with the forum first -- it's nice to find out from folks who are in the trenches before chatting with B & H.

Thanks!

Tim Polster July 7th, 2013 09:24 PM

Sure thing. I thought the price would be high! Blu-ray just is not DVD in terms of popularity and I do not think it ever will be.

Al Bergstein July 7th, 2013 10:45 PM

I just downloaded the trial of Vegas 12. It seems to include a burn to blu-ray feature. Might be cheaper to buy vegas, and dump the footage to the timeline and burn it from there?

Bruce Dempsey July 8th, 2013 03:44 AM

Hi Carol
Live events (not weddings) is my area as well
To produce a bluray on the spot I use a Sony VBD-MA1 but it isn't a live burn. You need to put the card in the recorder or use usb and burn a disc.
Another way is to live stream the event to google or ustream and enable the recording function (google will automatically create a youtube video
This lets them watch the event from anywhere on any device immediately
Bruce

I see you are referrring to things like hunter/jumper rounds and the like
Hard to find good internet connections at some of those places
The aforementioned burner will work especially for short stuff
The recorder will also put your HD avchd files on a regular DVD if its 30 minutes or less