DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   New Sony Camera??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/517984-new-sony-camera.html)

Steven Davis July 27th, 2013 04:18 PM

New Sony Camera???

Ok, was I dreaming or did Sony announce a camcorder that records to SD cards. I missed the info when it came out.

Ron Evans July 27th, 2013 04:48 PM

Re: New Sony Camera???

All my Sony cameras from last few years can use SD cards. Are you talking about something really new?

Ron Evans

Steven Davis July 27th, 2013 05:31 PM

Yeah, within the last couple of months, I thought I saw it on the DVINFO front page. I'm looking at replacing my Z1u, and want to go with something cf/sd related

Ron Evans July 27th, 2013 05:43 PM

I am waiting for the inevitable 4K version with XAVC-S. Why introduce the new codecs already in Vegas if there will not be any cameras soon !! They showed a demo /mockup at CES that looked just like my NX5U ( which by the way uses SD cards ). I would not be surprised to have information this fall for a release next year after CES. Thats what I hope.

Ron Evans

Battle Vaughan July 27th, 2013 08:04 PM

I think this is what you are referring to: http://www.dvinfo.net/news/sony-intr...camcorder.html

I got the sense, but it may only be my impression, that the camera's full functions record to SxS cards but it can record some subset of modes to SDHC "depending on the user's budget and application."
It is apparently not primarily an SDHC camera.

Glen Vandermolen July 27th, 2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 1806362)
Ok, was I dreaming or did Sony announce a camcorder that records to SD cards. I missed the info when it came out.

Many Sony cameras record to SD cards: The FS700, FS100, NX5U, NX30, NX70, MC2000, EA50, VG30, AX2000 and the VG900 come to mind.

Noa Put July 28th, 2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 1806362)

Where have you been the past years? :) Like Glenn said there are plenty sony camera's available that record to cards. If you want to stay in the Sony camp and want a z1 comparable camera I think your best bet would be the ax2000 or the nx5.

David Heath July 28th, 2013 06:57 AM

The actual wording in the PMW300 announcement is:
Quote:

Like all of Sony’s solid state XDCAM camcorders, the PMW-300 has the most flexible choice of recording media in the market, allowing customers to choose to record on Sony’s professional SxS memory card as well as other media such as SD, Memory Stick and XQD cards depending upon their budget and application.
True as far as it goes, but perhaps confusing that it doesn't make clear that whilst SxS cards will support all the cameras modes and codecs, such as SDHC won't.

For XDCAM 35Mbs, yes, you can use SDHC cards via an adaptor. For modes like XDCAM 422, and XAVC, you can't.

(And yes, there are all the cameras Glen lists above, but those are all AVC-HD, not XDCAM.)

Mike Beckett July 29th, 2013 06:27 AM

Come on guys, there's no need to be rude to the original poster.

He means any recent models, there hasn't been a full-size regular camcorder with SDHC from Sony since the NX5 (I'm not counting the less impressive NX70 when I say "full-size").

There is of course the EA50 camcorder if you want DSLR-type video in a camcorder body. But no new "traditional" camcorders since the NX5. (It could be argued that the NX5 is still fine, so why replace it?) In the interim, Panasonic released the AC130/160 and JVC the HM600/650, both of which are worth a look.

All the new PMW-xxx cameras are not SDHC or CompactFlash, unless one uses an adapter for SDHC and wants to pay way more than an NX5 or equivalent from other manufacturers.

Steven Davis July 29th, 2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan (Post 1806373)
I think this is what you are referring to: Sony Introduces PMW300 Camcorder at DV Info Net

I got the sense, but it may only be my impression, that the camera's full functions record to SxS cards but it can record some subset of modes to SDHC "depending on the user's budget and application."

yep, that's it.

Steven Davis July 29th, 2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan (Post 1806373)
I think this is what you are referring to: Sony Introduces PMW300 Camcorder at DV Info Net

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 1806523)
Come on guys, there's no need to be rude to the original poster.

He means any recent models, there hasn't been a full-size regular camcorder with SDHC from Sony since the NX5 (I'm not counting the less impressive NX70 when I say "full-size").

There is of course the EA50 camcorder if you want DSLR-type video in a camcorder body. But no new "traditional" camcorders since the NX5. (It could be argued that the NX5 is still fine, so why replace it?) In the interim, Panasonic released the AC130/160 and JVC the HM600/650, both of which are worth a look.

All the new PMW-xxx cameras are not SDHC or CompactFlash, unless one uses an adapter for SDHC and wants to pay way more than an NX5 or equivalent from other manufacturers.

Thanks Mike, I don't roll over my cameras much, but I have recently seen the benefit of flash recording through my Nikon d800s. I was really annoyed with Sony and their 700buck sxs cards. I was hopeing this new offering would be CF like Canon's offering from a year or so ago.

Thanks again Mike.

Buba Kastorski July 30th, 2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tal Talim (Post 1806423)
Sony recording to cards been going on for many years now. You been in stasis?

very informative, keep it up!

Mike Beckett July 30th, 2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 1806639)
I was really annoyed with Sony and their 700buck sxs cards.

That's the problem for those of us not in broadcast... how many wedding guys, or single trader corporate guys want to (or can?) shell out that sort of money for 32GB? Or pay an extra $3000 to get the PMW model just to put an SDHC adapter in it?

Rob Cantwell July 30th, 2013 06:06 PM

exactly!! i was looking at getting a ½ sensor camera but it's more difficult than you'd imagine, all the Sony PMW xxx line line seem to have the ridiculously priced SXS card system, even the adapters are very spendy!!
its the same with the NEX 5 that i have, the external 128 Gig for nearly a a grand!!! talking about gouging! - ripoff!!

and I thought the' for sale section' here would be a little bit more appreciative of the membership, but apparently even if you do actually think you might get bit of a bargain some sellers wont even respond!! - oh well, his loss!!

to the OP - i think the Sony HXR NX5 or the NEX-EA50 has some great things going for them and would be a big upgrade from the Z1 in so far as the use of SD cards and other enhancements :-)

Steven Digges August 7th, 2013 06:17 PM

Steve,

I always own prosumer cameras. I also work with many high end cameras. I am very happy with the NEX EA50 I purchased last January.

Steve