Best price on BD-R disks 6x 25GB? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 14th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Tourist

Best price on BD-R disks 6x 25GB?

I just upgraded from DV to HDV and am getting used to my AG-AC160A and Premiere Pro CS5. This learning curve is becoming more costly than expected with the price of BD-R disks. Any thoughts on what the best option is for least expensive, but reliable disks? Thank you.
Jack Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Best price on BD-R disks 6x 25GB?

I found these very reliable, ink-jet printable surface is a plus:

Amazon.com : Philips BD-R 6X 25GB White Inkjet Printable 25PK in Spindle : Blank Bd Dash R Discs : Electronics

I have not used these but $39 for 50 seems like a good price:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/819228-REG/TDK_61694_BD_R_6x_25_GB.html
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

For tests of authored content, I have been using the Verbatim rewritable BD discs. They have 25GB and 50GB versions, which I typically get from Amazon. The write speed is slower but it keeps me from throwing away discs after testing.
Old October 16th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I am using Falcon Watershield Glossy BD. They are high quality and the print out is amazing just like the TY watershield glossy. Disclaimer, I'm a reseller. but I also use these for my wedding BD outputs.

Falcon Media Pro BD-R 4X Glossy Inkjet Water Resistant Hub Printable (25-Pack) | L.A. Color Pros)
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Trustee

Taiyo Yuden actually now makes watershield BD-R media. I've put out about 50 of them now and have only had a couple that have issue. These are LTH so you may have issues with some first gen or early Bluray players and you have to make sure your burner has the capability of burning to LTH discs.

They're going for about $37 per 25 disc packs.
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #6
Inner Circle

LTH disc has very low compatibility in the US.
Old October 17th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
LTH disc has very low compatibility in the US.
I would not say "very low compatibility". Older set top players need to have their firmware updated and yes some cannot be updated so they will not play LTH. But most of the models being sold now are able to read LTH discs. Your burner does also have to have the ability to write to BR LTH discs. I have about 50 out there and none have had problems playing in clients players.
Old October 17th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

That's the issue. I'm distributing DVD and BluRay to others that I have no control of their hardware. Once deliver an end product to client they can't playback right away, the trust level already dropped a lot. I'd rather distribute something safe and risk free. No need to wait for those complain emails or calls. Then have to troubleshoot with them for it.

It's same like DVD-DL disk. It's still quite not compatible in many DVD players already have. I rather send them two disks if I have to.
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #9
Trustee

I completely understand Taky. It's really a matter of what your clients' expectations are. I don't do weddings. My runs are of larger quantities (I just finished a run of 150 discs and no matter what there's a good chance that someone will have a problem playing a disc. The only way for me to avoid that possibility when doing volume is to have them pressed. So, for me, the cost of materials becomes a big issue. I can very easily and quickly get the person who has an issue another disc and that usually plays fine and they don't mind.

If I were doing one or two off of a production it wouldn't be as much of an issue to use a disc that cost twice as much.

The only point I wanted to make is that compatibility for LTH discs were a lot higher a couple of years ago. Now, most peoples players will play them. There are still players out there that won't play BD-R discs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion