Private Investigator at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 22nd, 2013, 04:58 PM   #1
Major Player

Private Investigator

Hello everyone. I was contacted by a Private Investigator who wants me to record some video of him and his crew on the job. My question is...is it legal to show the faces of those they come in contact with, or would I need to blur their face? They want a short Cops style 10-15 minute video shot. Thanks in advance. They want to pitch it for a reality show in Los Angeles.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Private Investigator

I'm not a lawyer and don't know the law in your area but I would have to think that if they don't sign off a release you'd be best off blurring the faces. Keep some releases in your pocket filled out ready to go, so if they say OK you're ready and all they have to do is sign off.
Better safe than sued!
Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You're in Cali-sue-ya... don't feed the attorneys!

Either get releases or be prepared to blur out any and all identifying faces/markings. Better safe than sorry.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

A reality show like this won't be plain sailing for the crew, your PI is likely to organise some fireworks for the pilot.

So wear some sort of protection, a bullet jacket comes to mind and get some insurance.

Cheers.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Trustee

As already stated if the plan is to broadcast the footage you will either need to get a release or make sure they are not recognizable. You may also need to blur any trademarked logos, etc. I've worked a few documentaries and when we're doing any shots where the public could be recognized we have PA's to go get their releases or we take note to remember to blur them in post.

I agree that there could be some fireworks and you're crew should be ready for even the strangest thing to happen, including an angry subject slamming your camera to the ground.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Major Player

OTOH...if it is a non-broadcast sizzle reel, wouldn't there be a lot more latitude on faces and releases? Granted, it's always safer to protect yourself on the back end, but it the project is clearly shot and delivered as an in-house, never to be seen in public project, I'd not be that concerned about releasing everyone in the video.

Of course, this depends on your trust level with the PI that he won't repurpose the video as an advertisement on his website...
Bill Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion