Software to capture still pics from firewire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 29th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Software to capture still pics from firewire

This seems like a simple enough application but after hours of searching the web I cannot find a single program that will do this easily.

I need to be able to capture still frames from a camera attached to my laptop via firewire. I need for it to work with just a single mouse click or keystroke. Capture the full resolution standard def frame and save it as a sequential bitmap, tiff or targa...any quality pic format. I will take those frames later and make a movie from them.

I can do this in Premiere 6.5 (all I own) but it takes too much time and work. Capture, rename, save... and I have hundreds of these to do.

Any suggestions for a way to do this will be greatly appreciated.

BTW: I found two programs made only for the Mac that will do this, but I own PC's
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Software to capture still pics from firewire

A search on Google for "stop frame animation software" returns many results, mac and PC.

Dragonframe looks awfully good, and specs include HDV input, which is firewire. Maybe it does SD/DV firewire too?

I test-drove Stopmotion Pro... a long time ago. It also has firewire, and a version as low as $50.
Old October 29th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Seth:

Thanks for the tip!

I found StopmotionPro... but seems overly confusing and expensive at $295.

I also found a posting on another forum that mentioned StopMojo so I looked for that. A great, free, open license program that does exactly what I need. Captures from firewire. Allows you to select 1, 2, 3 or 4 frames. Select jpeg, bmp or tiff for the format and has a button to freeze (capture) the image you see the box.

You can even play back what you have instantly.

This will work great and you cannot beat the price : )

George
Old October 29th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Major Player

I seem to remember scenalyzer can do this.
Now free.

http://www.scenalyzer.com/
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion